Enrichment Class Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachTN, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

I knew that I would be teaching an enrichment class this year, in addition to my usual Science classes. Originally I had some ideas that did not relate to Science, but need to change my plans after our P told us today that our classes should be beneficial to the school in some way. I read (heard) this as being that the class should help test scores in some way. Now I am at a loss for what to teach!! I wanted to do something with science experiments, but then I realized that could be quite costly for materials.

Another teacher mentioned doing test taking strategies, but I am not sure I (or the students) could do that for 9 weeks. Any other ideas??

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2014

One of the sixth grade teachers at my daughter's old middle school did a quarter elective on bridge building. Students worked in teams to design a bridge about 18" long made of craft sticks and glue. The last day of class they measured how much weight each bridge could hold before it broke. It was an enormously popular class, taught by a gifted and enthusiastic teacher!

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

Another friend mentioned doing a forensic science class where students have to "solve" crimes based on the evidence provided. I am going to look into the information that they sent me and see how that works.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

Environmental issues: going green (positives, how to do it, why, etc), global warming, designing products, start a recycle club as part of the class, etc.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

Check out Genius Hour... basically a time for kids to research whatever they want. It's high interest and they are practicing research, writing, higher-order thinking, and presentation skills - all good for test taking.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

I did Enrichment for gifted kids one year and adored it. We did lots of Brain Teasers/Training (if I were to do it again I'd focus on Growth Mindset), bridge building and a unit on science fiction among other things. The Scifi stuff was great as they were exposed to very high level writing that they didn't interact with in their ELA classes.

8. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

I love Genius Hour, but we would not have access to computers, so that could reduce our ability to do any research. I do love the idea of brain teasers, will have to look into that some more. My neighbor is going to do the environmental aspect of Science, and since we cannot duplicate, I cannot do that.

Thanks for the assistance!!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2014

When my son was in middle school they did a thing where everyone in the school worked to produce a new product that could be beneficial to others, which they really were intending to be disabled or challenged. Many of the items didn't fall into that category, but were extremely original, thought provoking, and required a lot of effort to not only figure out, but also build a prototype or a reasonable facsimile of a prototype. I think the tie in was with ADA, but I can see the same tactic working for environmentally friendly items, green items, time saving items, etc. Just a thought. These things work well for your students who learn best using nontraditional learning strategies and intelligences.