Enrichment after school, 3rd gr. Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 30, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2014

Two hours a week. It's actually 3/4 grade in CA. It's up to me. I'm trying to pick a theme that will work for both grades. This is CA. I want it to be fun and to dig deeper into our projects than we do in school. But an hour can go so quickly. A few of my ideas are;

current events
    history/SS/mapping skills
    biographies
    science experiments
    reading a novel
    readers theater/literature circles
    tech-Ipad, some keyboard time

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

Be careful with Ipads - they can become electronic babysitters if you aren't using them with a defined curriculum or purpose. That has been my personal observation. I like reader's theater, hand's on science, and you might want to tap into some of the Brain Quest items to fill time as available. Kids love showing how smart they are, and learning always takes place!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

We do enrichment during the school day with our 4th and 5th graders. Here are some things we've done/are doing so far:

- Engineering (team challenges, etc)
    - Multicultural Art
    - Speech/Improv
    - Script writing (plays)
    - iPad photography (we have a class set of iPads to use)
    - Minecraft (we have a Minecraft Edu server) and coding
    - Newsletter (like newspaper, except abridged lol)
    - Knitting, crocheting and yarn crafts
    - Zumba/yoga

I really like the idea of doing an enrichment with science experiments, but I would immediately question the materials/resources - who will supply them? Do you have a budget? I had this problem with my art enrichment, as well.

I think readers theater would be fun. You could also do a play. Have you ever used Bad Wolf Press? Plays related to content - they're super fun.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

OH, another idea for the iPads is to make book trailers. That could be in conjunction with some kind of book club/literature circles enrichment, too. My fifth graders LOVE making book trailers, and younger kids could easily do it, too. They're so fun.

Let me know if you want to see examples and I can try to find some. I don't want to share my own students' examples on here because they're linked to my Youtube account with my first and last name...

You could also do coding on iPads. If you go on code.org they have non-tech ideas for exploring coding, so that could be a component. Our minecraft/coding club is going to do some of that too.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2014

All of this sounds interesting. How much time do you have a week? A lot of these things I'm not familiar with, could you elaborate? What activities go with these topics? Do you have a theme? Thanks.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

We have an hour 4x a week, so 4 hours a week. We have 25-30 kids in each class. We just come up with the ideas ourselves - there are two 4th grade and two 5th grade teachers, and each of us thinks of an enrichment (we discuss with each other of course).

Each enrichment rotation is about 6-8 weeks, depending. At the end, we have a "showcase" where we show off student work and families are invited. We've only done one rotation so far (in the fall), and we are about to begin our winter rotation.

We don't have a theme. We try to have pretty different choices for the kids each time.

I would be happy to elaborate, but could you be more specific about which ones you'd like more information on? :)

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2014

Yes. What do you do for engineering, speech/ improv, ipad photography, newsletter. Zumba (DVD?)

Thanks. They all sound interesting.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 31, 2014

Only one of these is mine, so I'll be as detailed as I can. :)

Engineering - My teaching partner did this one in the fall. She taught them about different kinds of engineering. They made bridges out of spaghetti (after researching on Chromebooks), created circuits (and made display boards for the showcase), made filters, and created fake knees out of PVC pipe. She was trying to cover the different types of engineering. I can get more info from her next week if you are interested. The kids LOVED that enrichment.

Speech/improv - He had the kids practice reading and reciting famous speeches. He would also give them improv scenarios to act out. I believe they may have eventually written their own pieces - short skits and short speeches.

iPad photography - This one hasn't happened yet! She's talked about doing still life and portraits and learning about lighting, etc. The person leading it knows photography, at least basic elements - more than I do! They're going to upload the photos into Google drive and make things with them I believe - slideshows, etc.

Zumba - She's using videos. A combination of DVDs and Youtube videos, I believe. She's doing Yoga too so that it's not always the same. This one hasn't happened yet, either, so I just know very generally what she's planning.

Newsletter - This one is my winter one, so it hasn't happened yet. Most of this group is 5th graders (that's how it turned out - they have choice). I've talked a little with some of the girls from my class. They want to interview teachers and students. One girl wants to do an advice column. They are really interested in doing reviews on books and movies. I'm hoping I can get someone to do comic strips. My vision was to have it be a combination of a newsletter and a literary magazine (a la Cricket - have you read that magazine?) where kids can write poetry, stories, etc, but also articles and informational pieces. I'm honestly leaving a lot up to them. I'll give them mentor texts - magazines, newspapers, and websites - and we will brainstorm together about what should be included. I don't think there will be a paper version. I'm pretty sure we are going to make the entire thing on a Google site that will then be advertised on our school's webpage. I think a few of the kids will be the "web designers". It's a new thing, so I have lots of ideas, but I'm not sure where it's going yet. I have some GREAT kids in my group, though, so I know it'll be good.

Now that I'm writing this, it's really more of a school magazine (and even more accurately, an ezine) and less of a newsletter.

Hope that helps!

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

Wow. Sounds amazing. I love the newsletter idea.