Enlarging classroom library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 20, 2010

I want to seriously enlarge the selection of books available in my classroom library before August. What is the cheapest way to do this? I don't have a particularly large selection and I would like to really add different genres as well as holiday specific books. Where does everyone get books from??? Obviously I add to my library when I send off my scholastic book orders, but 3 or 4 books every month or so doesn't do much.

PS...Remember, I am living on a teacher's salary!!!:lol:

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 20, 2010

Garage or yard sales, libraries, look for teacher's who are retiring, websites - sprout or littlest learners, yahoo group for teachers called teacher bargain basement, ask others for donations?

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

Scholastic warehouse sales, library used book sales, ebay lots, and some of my students last year even brought in old books that they didn't want anymore. Word has spread throughout the school about how large my classroom library is, and how much students love it, that other teachers that are getting rid of books come to me first! I also browse craigslist from time to time!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Ditto the suggestions above. I got a bagful of Magic Tree House and other second grade series for just a few dollars at my town library book sale. Ordering online can end up being expensive- you find books for just a few dollars but then the shipping ends up being more expensive than the book itself in which case you'd be better off buying new at your local book seller. Scholastic sometimes has 50 books for 50 bucks-look for those offers. I've also been fortunate to have parents donate the books their kids have 'outgrown' to my classroom.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

Too bad you aren't near me--I'm in the midst of a massive purge of books and teacher resources.

7. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Try the Goodwill.. I stopped by yesterday and they happened to be having their 50% off sale. I went to two different stores and ended up with 150 new books. :haha:

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

Children's resale shops, too, sometimes have books. And they don't sell well there, so the owners usually make them really inexpensive!

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 20, 2010

ebay

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

Frogger: Thanks so much for mentioning my online store (www.littlestlearners.com). I actually have boxes and boxes of books to upload when school finally ends here next week.

Some other ideas (though many won't help you before August)

-yard sales
    -craigslist (try posting a "I'm a teacher request for books")
    -freecycle
    -send an email to everyone you know or post on facebook that you are looking for books, ask people to spread the word
    -send a letter home with older grade levels and ask the kids to donate books that they are now too old for.
    -ebay (search for lots of books)
    -goodwill/salvation army
    -at the end of a school year contact retiring teachers
    -barter (exchange some tutoring time for books that the child has outgrown)

oooh...I think I know what my next blog topic will be:)

Good luck with your search!