Enjoying Your Drive to Work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2013

Honestly, I enjoy my drive to work. Do you? It's my last chance to be relaxed, cozy, listen to music, enjoy the quiet, etc. before I have to get out of the car to walk to my tiny room. It takes me about 20 min to get to work, but sometimes, I actually wish the drive was a tad longer, but I don't want to have to wake up any earlier! :D

I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

The other day in my very short drive to school, I braked for two bunnies, waited what seemed like forever for a skunk to decide which direction he or she wanted to go...slowly zigzagging left and right, dodged that barn cat that escapes death a few times a week, and drove about five miles an hour at the curve because there were eight or nine deer (that I could see) roaming about. I was laughing because the critters just kept coming! I love nature and wildlife so that sort of experience is both stressful (nearly killing animals) and fun (they're cute), but to say I "enjoy" the drive in general would be a stretch. I would rather teleport. :)

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 1, 2013

yeah....I'm in stop and go traffic for about 30-45 min to travel a total distance of 13 miles. Not the most relaxing. I do end up sitting in my car for a minute in the parking lot before I get out, enjoying the quiet.

5. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 1, 2013

If I take the long way to get to work it takes me approximately 3 minutes. If I take the short way and go down a large hill and up a large hill it takes me 2 minutes. I live about 2 1/2 -3 blocks from where I work. I love it!

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

It takes about 20 min. for me to get to work. There is very little traffic and four lane roads. I can think through my day and relax only when I am not running late! I do enjoy the drive though.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

I live really close to one of my schools, and fairly close to the other. What irritates me is that I have to drive my wife 20 minutes in the opposite direction first. That means that a 15 minute drive to the school I go to most mornings turns into a 35 minute drive.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work. Normally I enjoy my drive once I get past the red lights. The only time it's not enjoyable is 1)when I hit all the red lights...and 2) when I get behind a slow vehicle and can't pass them.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 1, 2013

I don't mind my drive to work unless the weather is bad. I do enjoy listening to a few radio stations on the way. I used to love the movie trivia they did on one station every morning but they got a new guy and he doesn't do it :(

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2013

I love my drive. :) It's about 20-25 minutes each way on the freeway with no traffic. I like having the chance to gear up for work, and at the end of the day, it's a nice time to reflect and decompress. I actually don't think I'd like having a shorter drive.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

I love my drive, particularly on the way home. I tune into NPR and get caught up on info. It is very relaxing.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

I do not mind my drive to work at all especially since I very seldom drive. Hubby works about 1/2 mile from where I teach, so I ride with him.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

I don't mind my drive to work- about 20 min, but I wouldn't want it any longer. When I have to take the bus when my esposo has the car it takes about 1 hour, and that sort of blows.

I'm a mean car singer/dancer so I'm cool with the drive. I don't know that anyone would appreciate my skills on the bus ;)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

I have different routes I can take to school. it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to school...I enjoy talk radio and the news in the morning. Every Friday I call a former colleague and we talk during our mutual commutes (hands free devices of course!).
    I do some mental planning for my day as I drive as well...just as an athlete visualizes his performance, I think about my day, outline in my head the materials I'll need to gather when I arrive, emails I need to send. It helps me enter school purposefully and productively. I love my job and where I work, so I feel no need to 'de-stress' on my way to or from school.:love:

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 1, 2013

I drive for a few miles on The Natchez Trace Parkway . It's a beautiful. Fastest speed limit 50. I'm the only car on the road. I have sirus radio and I sing along to country or oldies.

16. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

I have about a 35-45 minute drive, depending on school buses and weather. My school is very rural so I am driving on hilly and curvy roads. I don't mind it on nice days but on days like today when it took me an hour to get to school, I hate it.

I would love to work in a school that is closer to my house; that's my goal for the next year or two.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 1, 2013

After commuting 105 miles a day for many years, my commute is now one mile.

The drive is over before one song plays on the radio.

It's soooo nice.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 1, 2013

I don't think much about my drive. It's four miles of rural two-lane highway. I'm there before I know it. I'm never tempted to stop for breakfast because there isn't any place to stop. I have to watch for deer and turkeys.