Enjoying Your Drive to Work

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2013

Honestly, I enjoy my drive to work. Do you? It's my last chance to be relaxed, cozy, listen to music, enjoy the quiet, etc. before I have to get out of the car to walk to my tiny room. It takes me about 20 min to get to work, but sometimes, I actually wish the drive was a tad longer, but I don't want to have to wake up any earlier! :D

I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

The other day in my very short drive to school, I braked for two bunnies, waited what seemed like forever for a skunk to decide which direction he or she wanted to go...slowly zigzagging left and right, dodged that barn cat that escapes death a few times a week, and drove about five miles an hour at the curve because there were eight or nine deer (that I could see) roaming about. I was laughing because the critters just kept coming! I love nature and wildlife so that sort of experience is both stressful (nearly killing animals) and fun (they're cute), but to say I "enjoy" the drive in general would be a stretch. I would rather teleport. :)

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 1, 2013

yeah....I'm in stop and go traffic for about 30-45 min to travel a total distance of 13 miles. Not the most relaxing. I do end up sitting in my car for a minute in the parking lot before I get out, enjoying the quiet.

5. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 1, 2013

If I take the long way to get to work it takes me approximately 3 minutes. If I take the short way and go down a large hill and up a large hill it takes me 2 minutes. I live about 2 1/2 -3 blocks from where I work. I love it!

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

It takes about 20 min. for me to get to work. There is very little traffic and four lane roads. I can think through my day and relax only when I am not running late! I do enjoy the drive though.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

I live really close to one of my schools, and fairly close to the other. What irritates me is that I have to drive my wife 20 minutes in the opposite direction first. That means that a 15 minute drive to the school I go to most mornings turns into a 35 minute drive.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

It takes me about 15 minutes to get to work. Normally I enjoy my drive once I get past the red lights. The only time it's not enjoyable is 1)when I hit all the red lights...and 2) when I get behind a slow vehicle and can't pass them.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 1, 2013

I don't mind my drive to work unless the weather is bad. I do enjoy listening to a few radio stations on the way. I used to love the movie trivia they did on one station every morning but they got a new guy and he doesn't do it :(

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2013

I love my drive. :) It's about 20-25 minutes each way on the freeway with no traffic. I like having the chance to gear up for work, and at the end of the day, it's a nice time to reflect and decompress. I actually don't think I'd like having a shorter drive.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

I love my drive, particularly on the way home. I tune into NPR and get caught up on info. It is very relaxing.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

I do not mind my drive to work at all especially since I very seldom drive. Hubby works about 1/2 mile from where I teach, so I ride with him.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

I don't mind my drive to work- about 20 min, but I wouldn't want it any longer. When I have to take the bus when my esposo has the car it takes about 1 hour, and that sort of blows.

I'm a mean car singer/dancer so I'm cool with the drive. I don't know that anyone would appreciate my skills on the bus ;)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

I have different routes I can take to school. it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to school...I enjoy talk radio and the news in the morning. Every Friday I call a former colleague and we talk during our mutual commutes (hands free devices of course!).
    I do some mental planning for my day as I drive as well...just as an athlete visualizes his performance, I think about my day, outline in my head the materials I'll need to gather when I arrive, emails I need to send. It helps me enter school purposefully and productively. I love my job and where I work, so I feel no need to 'de-stress' on my way to or from school.:love:

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 1, 2013

I drive for a few miles on The Natchez Trace Parkway . It's a beautiful. Fastest speed limit 50. I'm the only car on the road. I have sirus radio and I sing along to country or oldies.

16. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

I have about a 35-45 minute drive, depending on school buses and weather. My school is very rural so I am driving on hilly and curvy roads. I don't mind it on nice days but on days like today when it took me an hour to get to school, I hate it.

I would love to work in a school that is closer to my house; that's my goal for the next year or two.