Enjoying 5th Grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by rabyoga, Sep 25, 2010.

1. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

Just a quick update. I was worried about moving to 5th grade from 2nd grade. It's been 6 weeks and let me tell you.... I LOVE 5th grade!:love:
    Granted I have an awesome 5th team that I work with. That also helps.

I just love 5th graders and their sense of humor. I'm wondering why I was ever worried about the jump.

Only downside-the smell after recess:p
    Just thought I would let ya'll know that I'm really enjoying teaching 5th.

3. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Sep 25, 2010

:)

4. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Sep 25, 2010

I love 5th grade too! I love how they're so grown up about some things, but still little kids about others. It's such a great age to work with. I'm glad you made the transition ok :)

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

Fifth graders are the best! Their sense of humor cracks me up...glad you are enjoying your group!

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

To me, best mix of ability without attitude!

Get the PE coach to talk to them about deodorant. PE coaches can get away with anything. They're growing, it's part of being a member of society! haha

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2010

:celebrate:

8. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Dec 2, 2010

I keep spray deo in a special spot. Boys can take the boys spray to the restroom after p.e. and girls take the girls spray and they have at it. Its worth the $3 a month for it...trust me!

9. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Dec 12, 2010

I made the move from 1st to 5th last year, and I absolutely love it, too! I was so nervous but I like it so much better! They get my jokes, we have so much fun, and the curriculum is so much more enjoyable than 1st.

Glad you are loving it!

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 13, 2010

Glad to hear you like 5th grade! I agree with the smell. I like the idea of the spray deo. I may have to invest in that. My kids usually really stink after gym. :)

11. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Feb 17, 2011

I am considering moving grade levels myself. I think I would enjoy the independence and less whining. How are the parents at this age group?

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 9, 2011

Fifth is my favorite grade too. I keep and air-freshener running in the classroom at all times. That helps with the smell. My kiddos go straight from gym to recess, so you can only guess what they smell like after that.

13. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Apr 27, 2011

I moved from 1st to 5th this year. I am really loving it! As far as parents go, I've been amazed by how much more "hands-off" they are! They're still willing to help, but I have to contact them first.

14. HappyOKTchr

HappyOKTchr New Member

May 5, 2011

I am so glad to read this post! I just heard that I will have a 5th grade class next year as a first year teacher! I'm glad to read all the positive notes!!

15. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

May 19, 2011

I'm glad to hear this too. I am changing to 5th grade next year, after teaching 1st grade for 6 years. I'm excited but a little nervous. Ok maybe alot nervous. :unsure:

16. BlueElement

BlueElement Rookie

May 21, 2011

Aw, I'm happy to see all the positive responses about 5th graders. I like my 5th graders, but I'm taken aback by all their boundless energy.

I've had a really bad experience though with the parents. They are not "hands-off" at all! About half are. But the other half want to know every detail of every day, and every grade, and if I don't share it with them, they go to the administration.

17. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 21, 2011

So great to hear all of this great feedback regarding 5th grade. I student taught in 5th and loved, loved, loved it. My first year teaching this Fall will be in 5th grade, SO excited!

...interesting take on the parents. My experiences while student teaching were that, when asked, a few were very eager to help out.

18. 5thELA

5thELA Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I will also be a first year teacher for 5th ELA/Reading and history. Any 5th grade tips, classroom organization or procedures???

Thanks!

19. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 29, 2011

fifth

Glad you are loving it! I taught fourth grade last year in PA. We are moving to Fl next month and I will be teaching fifth. I'm excited to see the differences between fourth and fifth graders. I also noticed the "scent" issue with fourth graders. I kept a scented plug-in in my room & lots of Lysol. Also, I contacted pharmacy stores in my area & asked for donations of small deodorants and soaps. I then taught a mini hygeine lesson to my students. Some took the hint, some didn't.