English Unit Planning Help!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Passion4Teachin, May 9, 2008.

1. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

May 9, 2008

Hello Fellow Teachers-

I am planning a unit on sibling diversity. Here is my overview of my unit.

Students will question how siblings who have lived together, grown up together, and shared the same experiences develop different interests, hobbies, and personalities. During the next four weeks, students will learn how to research and formulate a thesis as to why they believe diversity between siblings exist. Students will explore different possibilities such as genetics, environmental influences, peer influences, parental treatment, etc. by reading literature and scholarly articles on these topics, watching movies and television show clips that illustrate the diversity between siblings, and observing and analyzing the diversity between their siblings or their friend’s siblings. Students will end the unit by celebrating the diversity between siblings and creating a multi-genre project that incorporates their research and experiences. The purpose of this unit is to have students understand and appreciate the diversity of people everywhere by relating it to something close to themselves-- their family.

My question is: Can you help me think of any literature, poems, movies, tv shows that represent the diversity between siblings that is on the 9th or 10th grade level? I might consider doing literature circles if I have enough ideas. Thanks!

In other words, I am just looking for books that illustrate the difference between siblings for example (but not limited to) one siblings being popular while the other one is a loser or one is athletic and one is not.

ANY help would be great. Thanks again!

3. MrsL

MrsL New Member

May 9, 2008

How about Antigone? One sibling chooses to bury a brother, the other to obey the law.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 10, 2008

Homecoming, by Cynthia Voigt, is all about four children (ages 6-13) abandoned by their mom in a mall parking lot who have to learn to take care of themselves.

My students have enjoyed it in the past, and there is a lot of teaching material out there for it.

5. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

May 10, 2008

The Taming of the Shrew is about two very different sisters. The movie, Ten Things I Hate About You, is a modern take on the play and is well done. It's PG13, and there are some risque' scenes, but it's good to show scenes while studying the Shakespeare original.

6. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

May 10, 2008

I agree Voigt covers the family, and siblings surviving together, very well. She's a very popular author among young adults.

7. glen

glen Companion

May 10, 2008

I can think of two books off the top pf my head, but both are more for middle school. Either could work if you had students reading at an eighth grade level. Summer of the Swans (Byars) is about a teenage girl and her special needs brother. The Outsiders centers around the Curtis brothers and has a strong family theme in it.

8. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

May 10, 2008

These are all really great ideas. THANKS! I also need help thinking of different short stories and poems that can be used for this too.

9. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

May 11, 2008

You may be able to search for nonfiction on families in anthologies and such. I thought perhaps nonfiction on adoption may be a fruitful venue (where one child adopted is of a different race, or two children being adopted by gay parents, or the reconciliation of a child who realizes he or she is adopted and "fitting in" with a biological son/daughter of the parents). However, I do not have any such sources, but there's an idea at least!

And birth order books are always entertaining! "If you are the oldest then..." I find that most people are entertained by this. You may be able to come up with a fun writing activity involving these studies/theories.