English teachers...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Koriemo, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 22, 2016

I've been searching for a resource that I'm not sure if it exists. I'm looking for a universal basic literary analysis worksheet. I'd like something that includes identifying themes, plot, characters... something like that. To be honest, I would create it myself, but I can't quite think of how to format it. We read a lot of short stories, and this worksheet would be something that I could model for them at first, then guide them through, then transition to them doing it on their own.

Anyone have something like this? Or have any suggestions for me creating one?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2016

4. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 22, 2016

This is very close to what I need! I like that it asks for conflict and resolution. I would include just that instead of the full plot diagram. I guess my goals are for them to be able to evaluate the story for things like irony, allusions, imagery, motifs, mood/tone/voice, or symbolism as well, but not all stories include each of those things. I guess I could have an option of answering the question "Not applicable".

I've noticed that every year, my students still ask, "What is theme again?", or similar questions, and I want them to have so much practice identifying themes in stories that they will stop asking me that, and actually apply the information.

I'll see if I can come up with something myself...

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 27, 2016

What a great idea! I may use your idea and come up with something for my class.