English Teachers~Writing

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by inlovewithwords, Oct 13, 2008.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Oct 13, 2008

Does anyone use the Jane Schaffer Method of Writing with their students? I teach 9th graders and would love to get some feedback on how to effectively implement this method. Right now we are reading To Kill a Mockingbird and I have put this method to use and introduced the terms to the kids. It is proving to be extremely useful but I need more ideas.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

Many years ago, Jane Schaffer came to our district and trained us all. Then the next year we got a new curriculum director, and Jane and her philosophy became evil. *sigh* Also, our state test changed to a personal narrative essay, so administrators afraid of dropping scores pretty much banned all other types of writing. *double sigh*

So, I never had time to really implement it or see it work long term, but I love the idea of the chunk and still use it as a method for working with open ended responses. I think the whole model I is a great way to introduce literary analysis. A lot of people complain that it's formulaic, but I think that's only in the beginning. It gives kids who are afraid to write a clear path and an easy way to organize.

What kind of ideas are you looking for specifically?

4. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I agree. Our high school uses Jane Schaffer through all four years. It is absolutely imperative to give the freshmen a clear structure. As they go to junior and senior year, we teach them to weave in their thoughts more clearly and smoothly. By the time they graduate they know that this method is simply a tool to understanding writing.

I need specific ways of introducing this to freshmen.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I think the easiest thing to write about is characterization. You could start by having them analyze a children's story, maybe, as an example.

When you move to the book, you could focus on Scout.

Is that kind of what you're looking for, or am I way off target?