English teachers, what programs do you use?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hbcaligirl1985, Jun 26, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 26, 2012

What programs do you use for teaching materials and creating teaching materials? One of my former professors just gave me her copy of Inspiration 9. I love it! I'm just curious what other programs are out there that you find useful.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2012

I had never heard of this before. Most of my lessons are created in-house, so I'm looking forward to seeing what others are doing.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2012

Mostly I just use PowerPoint, Word, and Publisher. Our lit books came with ExamView Pro, and that can be useful in creating tests from the included databanks.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I've never understood the appeal of Inspiration. If it is a tool you think you want, there are free versions available (Google mind-mapping tools).

I use (or have used) the following:

- Weebly.com for my classroom website (use currently)
    - Edmodo.com for course management (quit using, but still like it)
    - GoogleForms for quizzes, exit tickets, surveys, exams (LOVE this, can't live without it)
    - Animoto.com for response assignments (use currently)
    - Diigo.com for bookmarking (LOVE, must have)
    - Flashcardmachine.com - digital flashcards (LOVE, must have)

All of these are free. I'm sure there are more, but that is off the top of my head. I have a very tech heavy classroom, all of my students have laptop tablets.

DyKnow is not free, but it allows for monitoring of student laptops and a lot of other tools.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

p.s. If are interested in tech tools, PM me and I will share my diigo account with you. Then, you can filter all of my bookmarks to find tools that might be useful.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

Just learned about a new tool called educlipper.com ... haven't tried it, yet.

8. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

:thumb: I like using many of these!

Also, I like to use the following:
    - Prezi.com - Teachers and students can create engaging and visual presentations
    - Glogster - Digital poster site (great for projects!)
    - Wallwisher - Good idea for reader-response, exit tickets, and so forth
    - Wikispaces - Students can create their own wikis for projects. Also use Wikispaces for my class website.
    - Wordle - Word clouds
    - Tagexdo - Like Wordle, but the word clouds can be put into the shapes of objects. Want to try using this with poetry!
    - When I student taught, I liked to use QR codes! Students were allowed to use their cell phones to access websites via QR Codes. Not sure if my new school would be okay with that!

If I need to create a simple handout, I mainly just use Word. It's easy for me just to create charts/graphic organizers using the features of Word. :)

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 27, 2012

I'm going to try some of these out too.

10. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

Ya, thankfully I didn't have to pay for Inspiration 9--she gave it to me. It's cool--but I wouldn't pay $50 for it, that's for sure.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I use all the sites KU and Cactus have mentioned. My school purchased Inspiration, but I think it produces bulky and ugly products.

I have a quick question for you Prezi users. Have you been able to use your clicker (you know, like the one you use to advance through Power Point sides) to navigate a Prezi you've created? I can't figure out how to do it! LOL.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2012

I've tried using Prezi and may have to try it again. It was a nightmare trying to put together my first presentation, but it was during a class on how to do Prezi and the person running the instruction wasn't very good at answering our questions. Perhaps playing with it on my own will make it easier. Is there a way to convert Powerpoint to Prezi?

13. Alen Jones

Alen Jones Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

For making classroom presentations, I mostly use MS office, while for searching the data Google help me. But now I am gonna try these softwares for managing my content, lets see how much helpful it would be...:)