English teachers: What is your standard homework?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mr.MiddleSchool, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

Hello.

I am a language arts teacher and I am trying to try a new way of doing homework so that it is more effective, and beneficial for my students.

In the past I had them respond to a writing prompt and also read for an hour. This is what my cooperating teacher had her students do when I was a student teacher and I just "took it and ran with it" when I became a teacher myself. I know some of my students forged parent signatures when it came to their reading, and the majority of my students quickly wrote the paper the day it was due.

So, what is your traditional homework like? I want it to be meaningful, but at the same time not a strain on me as the teacher.

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome. If it matters or helps I teach 7th grade.

-Mr.MiddleSchool

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

They read for an hour each day? That's too much, IMO. I try to make my homework no more than 20 minutes when I assign it. I usually assign reading (two nights to read one story that we usually start in class) and do some questions.

I try to keep in mind that my kids have 7 classes. If each class gave 20 minutes of homework, that would be over two hours. I believe they should be involved in activities too, which takes a lot of time.

4. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific and detailed.
    They are required to read 1hour during the course of the week (they have from Monday when it is assigned to Friday when it is collected). They also have a parent sign acknowledging that the child has read.

Same thing for the prompt. They have from Monday-Friday when it is collected to write one page. I know every child's schedule is different, I try to comply with that.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

Okay good! I was worried for a second! I know teachers who do things like article of the week. They assign it on Monday and it's due Friday.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

That makes more sense, Mr. MiddleSchool. I was a bit worried about over an hour of homework in one subject every night.

I don't tend to give a lot of homework, mostly just work that isn't completed during the day or some work on longer term assignments.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2013

Most of my homework is grammar stuff in a workbook. I hate the workbook but was told I have to use it since it was purchased. So I'll assign a couple pages and that's that.

disclaimer- I am completely unqualified to be an English teacher and I'm probably not doing a good job, but I was stuck with it and am doing what I can.

8. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

yeah, sorry for the confusion. I'm not that mean or unreasonable of a teacher.

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 22, 2013

I will typically assign vocabulary stuff (mostly greek/latin roots, prefixes, suffixes, etc). I will also assign grammar practice if we've gone over it in class.

I rarely assign reading because, in my experience, it doesn't get done.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2013

We don't do homework. But if we did, I would do something similar my master teacher did during my student teaching:
    - students read a novel independently. This was 8th grade, they read novels like Treasure Island or Giver -> they were not very long. They were required to read a certain amount of pages / week, I think it might have been 1 chapter, and I would give a short 10 question quiz on it every Monday.
    - he did vocabulary, there were 29-30 words / 2 weeks, we went over them during class, and the students had a packet to complete, about a page every day. Sometimes we spent time on these in class. Every 2 weeks test. these vocab words were in addition to the novels or the stories we read in class.

11. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

That's interesting. I'm sure it takes a good amount of preparation though.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2013

I read the books as they were reading them and created the quizzes. They were designed to see if they really did the reading. (in my opinion a parent signature may not mean a lot in some schools). This part was easy because the novels were not massive.

He had a book for the vocab, it was called Wordly Wise, I think it had different levels. It had everything, all we had to do was make copies. It even had the tests and the answer keys.
    So it wasn't that much work.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2013

My homework is always Vocab practice. Greek/Latin roots, a work packet, and they have to log in to Quizlet and play the practice games. They get one full week to finish.

Occasionally, there's extra. I'm going to try having them read at home this year - it just eats up too much time to read everything in class and have a discussion. We'll see how that goes.

14. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Anyone else want to share their English homework regimen?

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

I give an Article of the Week (AoW) on Monday. It is due on Friday. See http://kellygallagher.org/ (click on resources at top). If you find his AoWs, I do more questions aligned to standards than illustrated in his.

Other homework is anything that didn't get finished during the class period.

16. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 25, 2013

Okay. I'll see if he has any middle school appropriate articles. Anyone else?

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 25, 2013

I should have mentioned, I use very few of his articles. I find my own. But, the idea is his.

I find articles online. If there is nothing trending in the news, I go here: http://tweentribune.com/