English teachers- What is your favorite piece of literature to teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Engteach13, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Oct 27, 2008

What is your favorite peice of literature to teach? I thought long and hard and I am going to say The Great Gatsby. I love all the symbolism, themes, time period....I'm not teaching it this year.:(

3. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Oct 27, 2008

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein comes to my mind first-- the students get into it easily, it really engages both the readers' emotions and minds, there are plenty of debatable questions to discuss, and it is always fun to see the students' surprise when the "monster" turns out to be different from what they've seen in movies and cartoons. (They get quite indignant when they see the 1930's movie version after having read the novel!)

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

Hmmm...I love teaching Frankenstein too, and 1984 - it's amazing how relevant that novel is today. We bring in a lot of news articles and have Socratic circles on privacy rights and free speech.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

We teach a YA novel called Speak in 9th grade. It so rich in language, symbolism, metaphors and similes, and voice. I love teaching it with my students.

To Kill a Mockingbird is another favorite, but it is one of my favorite novels.

6. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Oct 27, 2008

English 11 students read Speak, then The Great Gatsby, then my favorite: The Scarlet Letter.

Is there any story like The Scarlet Letter?

7. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

I love teaching The Odyssey. Any Shakespeare follows--I have only taught R&J, but get to work with Julius Caesar this year.

I am also exapnding a "coming of age" unit from last year, which includes fiction and nonfiction, which ties in nicely with the Telemacheia from Odyssey and the young lovers in R&J.

8. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

I love teaching anything Shakespeare (R&J, Othello, Twelfth Night, Julius Caesar, Hamlet, MacBeth).

I also love anything Steinbeck.

Lord of the Flies is great fun, too.

9. dovian

dovian Comrade

Oct 28, 2008

Odyssey, hands down. I also love Lord of the Flies but I don't get much chance to teach it - I don't often have 10th graders.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 28, 2008

I love teaching The Crucible and A Raisin in the Sun.

11. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

Oct 28, 2008

@dovian: nyah, nyah. We're starting Lord of the Flies NEXT WEEK. We've been doing some short stories and scenarios, and I have my students all primed and enraged about all the horrible effects an abuse of authority can have an why everyone should just be able to do what they want all the time. Mwah, ha ha. Let the debates begin . . .

But, seriously. My fave so far has to be Hamlet, though. And The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Which I taught together. I don't teach seniors now though :( We had a blast with what I like to call my "undiscovered country" unit last year.

12. MizDubya

MizDubya Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

First year teacher here, so haven't taught too many novels yet.

Right now we're doing The Scarlet Letter in my 9th grade classes, and I am absolutely loving it! My students tend to think it's really "cool" the way that Hawthorne ties together the different elements of the story.

The entire 9th grade year is American Lit, so I'm going to get to teach The Great Gatsby, Black Boy, and The Catcher in the Rye this year, which I'm very excited about.

We're also doing The Bluest Eye in my 11th grade class in either January or April (I'm thinking January, at this point), and I'm incredibly interested to see how my 11th graders do with the text.

13. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

I love teaching Julius Caesar, but a lot of my kids detest it. I think my admiration stems from the fact that it's one of the few real challenging works in our book. Most of our stories are so literal with few symbolic references or challenging themes.

14. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

I'm not an english teacher, but surpisingly, i majored in english, too. It's not completely decided yet, but i may be teaching it next year as well. I've been thinking about it, and if/when i teach it, i will be sure to cover Empire Falls, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and The Great Gatsby.... oh, and you can't forget King Lear. (I'll be teaching AP lit and comp.)