English Teachers: In what ways do you develop yourselves professionally?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by BookButterfly, Oct 19, 2011.

1. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Oct 19, 2011

Good morning, everyone!
    I have an assignment for a college course where I need to interview several English professionals about their professional development activities. While I've done this IRL, any additional information helps! So, if you have a few minutes, could you please answer the following questions about yourselves? It would help me out immensely!

The point of this "interview" is to discover the professional development activities of English teachers.

In what city/state do you teach?

How long have you been teaching?

How long have you been at your present place of work?

Do you belong to any professional organizations? If so, which ones? Do you find them helpful? Why/Why Not?

What ways do you personally develop yourself professionally?

What ways does your school/district help you along in your professional development?

Are you a part of a union? If so, does the union help you with your professional development activities?

Do you attend any conferences? Which ones and why? Or, Why not?

Do you receive any academic journals? Which ones, and how useful are they to you?

Do you belong to any professional organizations? Which ones and why? Or, why not?

Are there any ways that you contribute to your own professional development that were not addressed above?

Thank you for your time! =)

3. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Oct 19, 2011

The point of this "interview" is to discover the professional development activities of English teachers.

In what city/state do you teach? [CT/COLOR]

How long have you been teaching?1.3 years!

How long have you been at your present place of work? 1 year

Do you belong to any professional organizations? If so, which ones? Do you find them helpful? Why/Why Not? NCTE, CEA/NEA thinking of joining IRA. I find forums like this and the English Companion Ning most helpful on a more regular basis for specific English/teaching questions

What ways do you personally develop yourself professionally? Being on forums like this, reading blogs, articles, following educational people/institutes on Twitter

What ways does your school/district help you along in your professional development? Paying for me to go to a conference (if I'm lucky!) and doing our professional learning communities twice a week -- I meet with another English teacher who is teaching the same or a similar course and we exchange ideas

Are you a part of a union? If so, does the union help you with your professional development activities? yes I am and no it does not

Do you attend any conferences? Which ones and why? Or, Why not? I'm going to the CT reading conference, I'm hoping to get to "Best young adult books of 2010-2011" and one year I would love to get to the NCTE conference

Do you receive any academic journals? Which ones, and how useful are they to you? No, just not enough money at the moment to purchase subscriptions

Hope that helps!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 19, 2011

Here you go!

Kentucky--in a rural public school

19 years

I've been with the same district for 19 years. I have been with my current school in two locations for 17 years.

Do you belong to any professional organizations? If so, which ones? Do you find them helpful? Why/Why Not?
    Not anymore. I did when I first started teaching. I found that most of the publications were available from the library.

I network with others often. I volunteer for things that will allow me to be part of new initiatives.

What ways does your school/district help you along in your professional development?
    I'm given a lot of opportunities to take part in things at the school, district, and state level. They pay for some workshops.

Are you a part of a union? If so, does the union help you with your professional development activities?
    No

I have presented at the Kentucky Reading Association a couple of times. I attended more when I was in college and trying to see what was out there.

Do you receive any academic journals? Which ones, and how useful are they to you?
    No

Do you belong to any professional organizations? Which ones and why? Or, why not?
    Not anymore. I just had other things to do with my mo eh

Are there any ways that you contribute to your own professional development that were not addressed above?
    I actually give some professional development workshops in several areas. Teaching can be a great way to kearn!

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2011

I'm in Southern CA, north of Los Angeles

This is my tenth year.

It's my eighth year.

I have belonged to NCTE, and I periodically rejoin CATE (when the annual conference in down south so I can go). I'm also a Teacher Consultant with the Northridge Writing Project.

I read professional books. I belong to the English Companion Ning online. I get the ACSD email briefs and a few others.

We have occasional sessions at my school, mostly on tech issues, but the district hasn't provided any PD in a while because of budget cuts.

Yes and no.

CATE when it's down south (or up north close to my daughter so I can visit her too!) I've been to NCTE once and it was great. I think it's in Vegas in 2012, and I'm hoping to go to that. I don't get any release days, though, so I not only have to pay my own way to conferences, I have to take a personal day.

I used to get English Journal, which I thought was very good.

See above.

I have also presented at conferences and WP events. And I participate in a to z!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 20, 2011

In what city/state do you teach? Texas, suburban

How long have you been teaching? 20 years!

How long have you been at your present place of work? This is year 6

Do you belong to any professional organizations? If so, which ones? Do you find them helpful? Why/Why Not? NCTE, TCTE and the local affiliate, JEA (for journalism teachers). I find them all to be helpful in various degrees. I think NCTE produces some fantastic research, and TCTE hosts an incredible yearly conference. JEA has amazing resources that work practically in a journalism classroom.

What ways do you personally develop yourself professionally? Like others have said, I'm a huge fan of EnglishNING, and I love #edchat on Twitter. I find a lot of great resources online.

What ways does your school/district help you along in your professional development? My district is willing to invest in nationally recognized speakers like Kelly Gallagher and Jeff Anderson. However, other than the 1 or 2 workshops a year, anything else we do has to come out of our personal budget, and that's frustrating.

Are you a part of a union? If so, does the union help you with your professional development activities? I am a member of AFT/TFT, but I don't get anything specific for my ENGLISH class from them. They do, however, produce some great research that is useful to me as a teacher.

Do you attend any conferences? Which ones and why? Or, Why not? I really try to attend TCTE when I can, but it's usually in January, and it's expensive. I've never been able to afford an NCTE conference, but I would love to go.

Do you receive any academic journals? Which ones, and how useful are they to you? American Teacher by AFT, and yes, it' useful. I used to get the professional journal from NCTE, but so much of that information is available online for free now.

Are there any ways that you contribute to your own professional development that were not addressed above? I think the PLN that has informally developed on Twitter is phenomenal. I get something new to use in my classroom nearly every day from the teachers on there. I can't say enough good about the EnglishNING site, either. I use Diigo educator groups to find and share great websites with teachers, and the site FreeTechnology4Teachers is updated daily and also has incredible sites to use in the classroom.