English Teachers...how many major assignments?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Carliee, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Carliee

Carliee Rookie

Feb 18, 2016

I'm curious how many major writing assignments such as 5 paragraph essays do you assign per term? Please state the type of course, grade level, and how many weeks your term lasts.

I'm a new teacher at a school that operates on 13 week trimesters. What I really want to know is how many papers is typical in a regular 10th grade language arts course and how many papers would be typical in an 11/12 elective writing course.

Thanks!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 18, 2016

I teach 9th, but the standards are the same for 9th and 10th grade. I usually have one major writing assignment per unit I teach, and that acts as my summative assessment. There are usually several formative assessments with shorter amounts of writing so we can practice the skills and content needed.

As for a writing elective, that depends upon the goal of the course. Do you want to work on the editing process? If so, you'll want to have fewer assignments and more drafts. Are you building a particular type of portfolio? In that case, perhaps 2-4 samples of each genre your students are trying to master.

SMS62 and Carliee like this.
  4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 19, 2016

I teach sophomores. I usually do one major essay per quarter. They do smaller things like articles of the week or essay tests but usually just four where we spend a lot of time in class going through the whole process.

My electives are the same way but they're only one semester so they do two major essays.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2016

I teach Senior English. I have three marking periods per semester and aim for one major, workshopped writing projects per marking period, so three per semester.

6. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Feb 25, 2016

I am curious what do you consider a major writing assignment. The original poster said 5 paragraphs, which seems minor to me, even for 9th or 10th grade. Just curious.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2016

I teach senior English. I have 175 students. I can really only manage two major essays a year, one per semester. They do a lot of journaling and other analytical writing.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 25, 2016

Same. I teach sophomores and seniors. It takes me a long time to grade.

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2016

"Major" does not have to equal length...it should be the quality, not the quantity, that counts. A well-constructed 5-paragraph argumentative essay can be more meaningful than a paper that goes on and on, IMO.

Carliee and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 26, 2016

Agreed. I've found my kids struggle much more with writing concisely.

Carliee likes this.