English Teachers: Guides for classroom pacing?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Mar 1, 2016.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 1, 2016

Good morrow, everyone!

I'm having a bit of a pickle with something. For my first period class, it goes by at a glacial pace. We end up finishing early most days and we are left over with 20-25 minutes. May God forgive me. I'm a new teacher and I'm Alternate Route, so I didn't have any background in education.

We are currently reading Macbeth, and I want us to work until the bell rings. That is my true dream. I want to be a teacher that keeps her class working for the entire 45 minutes. Do you think I'll get better at pacing when I practice? It's hard for me to stay after school because I live an hour and a half away from my school, and once the final bell rings, I have to run home to beat traffic and pick up my niece.

Do you know of any good guides for pacing an English class? It would mean the world to me.

Thank you so much. :) :heart:

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2016

Pacing is a tough thing to learn as a new teacher. Even with experience, some classes will work faster, and others will drag on with things. For Macbeth, I would check out the book Shakespeare Set Free by the Folger Library. It is full of hands-on, active lesson plans that are designed for shorter class periods. I especially like the final project in which students direct and present a scene from the play. I'm working on Hamlet currently and it is slow going in comparison!

pinkcupcake90 likes this.
  4. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Mar 1, 2016

This looks awesome! Thank you so much, dear. This means a lot to me! :D

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 1, 2016

Pacing was hard for me and took a long time to get used to doing it the right way. My problem was that I would plan 2 hours worth to do in 1 hour, I just couldn't figure out how little work would take such a long time.
    Sometimes I still have some classes finish work faster than others, it happens, but never more than 5-10 minutes (this can be a lot though for 48 minute class).
    Because it only happens sometimes, I reward them by letting them sit and talk, since we got it done. But if it was a constant issue for one or some classes (some classes are just higher level or better behaving) I would come up with additional vocabulary activities ( you can always make crossword puzzles with vocab, they're great to enforce vocab and can take 10 minutes.)

pinkcupcake90 likes this.