English teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Deng, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Deng

Deng Guest

Aug 25, 2004

I went to the interview as a English teacher, the school needs me to have an English teaching trial, they just give me 10 minutes for the trial, and they will pick the teaching material for me at the site. Actually, the student will be pre-schooler or primary school students. I am so scared that I have no idea about the situation there during the teaching time. I have no material with me, what shall I do? it will be greatly appreciated if I could have your precious advice to help out.
    Thank you in advance.

Linda

3. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 28, 2004

That sounds like a really unusual situation. I would do the best you can, and then make sure to remark, "Obviously, this isn't indicative of my best work, and I would spend much more time preparing for my lessons, of course. had I had the opportunity, I would have ___________________________," and fill in all the things you would have liked to do, given the opportunity to prepare in advance.

One small thing to consider, though I hate to be a downer. I know two different people who were given "on-the-spot" assignments like this. One was to write a 2-page paper on Romeo and Juliet within an hour. (She did not know ahead of time; they announced it when she arrived.) The other was given a topic and told to write a lesson plan that represented Bloom's Taxonomy. In both cases, they later found out that the principal had someone in mind for the job opening, but policy required interviews with multiple candidates. The solution was to give very difficult interviews to anyone other than the person the principal wanted to hire. It may be common practice in your district to require a teaching demonstration, but in any case, don't worry about it too much. If they didn't like you initially, they wouldn't ask you back for a demo.