English teacher needs ideas for teaching bibliography, citing sources

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by englishteach7, Apr 13, 2011.

1. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Apr 13, 2011

I'm a first-year English teacher getting ready to start a unit on research paper writing. I have no idea where to start. I know I have to teach them how to research and correctly cite sources and create a bibliography or works cited page. Any ideas where to start? Any websites that I could go to for some guidance? I'm on my own here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Apr 13, 2011

By the way I am a 7th grade English teacher.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2011

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

6. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Apr 14, 2011

The easiest way to teach students how to cite sources and create a bibliography page is to create a power point explaining to them why citing a source is important and different ways that they can be written as well as what a biography page is. Also you can put examples up.

7. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

My students found this webquest helpful: http://www.rlc.dcccd.edu/library/infolit-ol/mlasl/

I also gave them a "cheatsheet" for citing the resources they were most likely to use ,like a page on a website. I used humor websites I know they frequent like xkcd.com as examples.

8. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Apr 14, 2011

Just to add it in there, I'd suggest you ask for MLA for starting.

You may want to ask other teachers in your department or at the high school level what the majority of teachers use. The only reason I say MLA is because the free citation websites usually use MLA and sometimes require a fee for APA or others.

9. Math

Math Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

Your doing research papers in 7th Grade... I'm doing my first in 9th Grade which is this year and we have already started...

10. Math

Math Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

Anyway we were given a packet and the teacher went over the information.. before something was due it was explained that week. I can't go into extreme details because it is a bit much. Ask another English Teacher in your school...

11. Lockepick

Lockepick Rookie

Apr 15, 2011

This year, I decided to take them through the entire process step by step. First, I gave them some articles on a model research topic. As a class, we then read through the article taking out quotations and paraphrasing other parts. Finally, we created source cards and notecards.

With some of their analysis papers for novels, they've already learned how to use in-text citation and how to do the works cited page.

The one thing I would ask of fellow teachers is to NOT let them rely on things like easybib. That really doesn't help them a great deal. All high school students should be able to see a modeled example on paper and come up with their own citation. The use of easybib takes the weight off the student, and that seems unnecessary.

Note: I'm talking about freshmen in high school.

12. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Apr 16, 2011

Thank you all for your great suggestions and links. This will help me immensely in planning my unit for this upcoming week. Again, thank you.