English Subject Area Exam in Florida

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by dehabel, Apr 13, 2005.

1. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Apr 13, 2005

Hey there,

Has anyone taken the English Subject Area Exam in Florida? I am taking it on Saturday and I am a little nervous.

Thanks,
    Chrissy

3. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 14, 2005

No, not yet but will be taking it later in the summer. Please email me and give me all the (hopefully not gorey) details. I'm sure you'll do fine. Good Luck :)

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 14, 2005

just wanted to wish you both 'good luck'!

5. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for the well wishes. I took the exam yesterday. There were things on there that I have never heard of, and I could not tell you if I passed or not. It was very difficult. I will keep my fingers crossed.

It is soooooooooo much stress and work to become a teacher - I hope I can make a difference in these children's lives so it will make a difference :eek:)

6. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

May 15, 2005

Hi All,

For those who were interested in knowing about the English SAE. As I said earlier, it was difficult. It must have been easier than I thought though because I did pass :love:

I also finished the most difficult semester of my whole entire life...only two classes to go :eek:)

Hope all is well for everyone. I look forward to August 1st when I will have my own classroom :love:

7. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 9, 2005

I am scheduled to take the English 5-9 SAE in Florida in two weeks. I finally received my study guide to find that I have only been given a list of books to read to study for this test and most of the sample questions are not about the english subject at all. I'm getting discouraged, because I can't find these books at the library. I have a journalism degree and I have experience as a yearbook adviser for a university. I don't have any practical instructional experience. I went to the teachin and didn't find it very helpful either. I really want to be a teacher and all I need to do is pass this test. Can someone PLEASE help me and give suggestions on what to study. I would truly appreciate it. I want to make a difference!

8. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

I wish I could advise you on what to study. It was a lot of hypothetical situation stuff and a lot of quotes from an array of literature. I thought for sure I did not pass, but I did. My friend was in journalism and she took it and passed. Keep positive!!!

9. Mrs.Goble

Mrs.Goble Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

Hi Underhill!

I am a Journalism graduate as well. I have never taught any other than Cheerleading. I start teaching 7th Grade advanced and Gifted English August 1st. I am totally freaking out.

I have to take the exam as well. I have a year to pass it and be able to sign a contract with this school. Are you in Miami? Maybe we can study together.

Florangel

10. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Well, two more days until exam time...still not sure what I should study or even if it is possible to study for. I got the book by Atwell "In the Middle", so I hope that will help with situational stuff.

dehabel - please give me some hints if you can on what would help. Specifically what kind of literature...none of that is in the study guide. I really want do well on this. So, any pointers will help!

Mrs.Goble - I'm sorry, I don't live in Miami, but I will let you know how it goes and help you anyway I can. If you need a study guide, I have an extra one I can send.

Thank you and please wish me luck and give me any advice you can!

11. Mrs.Goble

Mrs.Goble Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

UnderhillM,

I will be thinking and praying for you. Thanks for thinking of me as well. I would appreciate any feedback or studyguides you can offer.

Good Luck,
    Florangel

12. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

I would love to give you some hints, however, I don't know what to tell you. Much of it was situational. For instance, If you have a child who is not social and comes from a family that is not functioning properly what book would you suggest to the child to read: A. West Side Story B. The Outsiders C. The Great Gatsby D. The Odyssee

Much of it gave specific situations in a classroom and how the situation or lesson could be taught and then there were quotes from books.

Some of the books I would be familiar with are:

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (by name and author only)
    Find the name of a Russian Science Fiction writer and I don't think it is Isaac Asomov

The essay was a quote from a book or poem and it wanted interpretation in an essay form.

I think it asked about collaberative learning and the first few questions were things I had never even heard of as far as types of learning/teaching styles.

I know it is not much but hopefully it helps a little. Just to make you feel better I did not prepare for it at all and I still passed.

Good Luck and let us know how you do!

~ chrissy

13. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Thank you so much! That helps a lot...I'm just nervous!

Also, does anyone know if it varies by school...but do you have to have your temp. certificate to teach or do you have time to get that?

14. joyoakes

joyoakes Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

My understanding it depends on the school. I have a temp cert in Business and don't want to teach that subject. I want to teach math. I have to take the SAE in October and I am scared to death. But I am taking the Middle Grades Integrated every month till I pass it to get what I need by then!! Good luck to you!!!

Joy

15. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 21, 2005

What you have to have is your content met. Either by SAE exam or coursework. Once this is done and you are HIRED you get your temp certif. Some COE students are able to come right out of college with their temp but everyone else has to be hired first.

16. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I got the job, but need the SAE to get my temp. Just worried, that if I don't pass it, I may lose this opportunity. Not sure how it works.

17. joyoakes

joyoakes Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Yep each school is different on the SAE. It can get so confusing because each school has a different criteria on teaching!!

18. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 21, 2005

Its not that the schools are different Florida counties all require the same thing. However if it is a title one school or if they are doing the title one thing for all the schools you have to be highly qualified which means you have either your temp certif or your prof. Also if the principal wants you but you dont have the coursework the SAE is required. Since your degree is Journalism you dont have all the required courses which is why you need the SAE. Convoluted and complex if you don't know thier rules but actually relitivly straight forward after being trained on it.

19. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 22, 2005

dehabel - how long was your essay? just curious...

20. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Jul 23, 2005

Well, took the test this morning. I don't know how I did, but I'll let you all know.

21. brielle

brielle New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I took the SAE exam this past weekend and have no idea how I did. Mine was for English 6- 12. I don't even know where to go from here. Can I start interviewing for a job?

22. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I am sure all of you did just fine! In Florida I believe you can get a job without having passed the exam...I think you have a year from the time you start working...check with your district.

The worst part is waiting the four or five weeks it takes for your exam scores to come back.

Good luck!

23. brielle

brielle New Member

Jul 25, 2005

You can get a job... if it is your major. It was not my major so I have to wait to see if I passed. They never even said what "passing" was. 70% or what? I think I will just sub in the meantime.

24. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

I passed!!!!!

I haven't gotten the scores in the mail yet, but I checked the online status and it said I passed, so I'm very happy.

Good luck to all!!!!

25. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

By the way...thank you dehabel for your help!!!

26. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

Congratulations! I don't know how much help I was, but you are more than welcome. Good luck!

~ Chrissy

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2005

Well done, underhillm!

'Scuse my Californian ignorance, but can somebody tell me what "SAE" stands for and which company does it? It might be that, given a little more information about it, I could suggest some resources that would be useful for future takers.

28. underhillm

underhillm Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

Thank you!!!

SAE stands for Subject Area Exam that we take in Florida. So, if you didn't major in the subject you are taking or if you don't have all of the courses required, you would need to take the subject area exam to be eligible for certification.

I found that the exam was not really based on the subject area, more on situational stuff. A few questions were quotes from books or about authors, but mostly about collaborative learning and cooperative learning, etc.