English Praxis II 0044 Panic!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Stacy S, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Jenjenjude

Jenjenjude New Member

Jan 1, 2013

Thanks, TeacherGroupie. The lists of study topics in the ETS Official Study Guide for Praxis II 0044 very specifically state that these are only "some" of what may appear and are "representative" but not definitive. It's a decent start, but they feel very incomplete; are there complete lists available somewhere? Or at the very least lists that are somewhat more comprehensive? I've got Elmer's guide, but I'm looking for a more complete list of the schools and authors they're likely to cover. (My degrees are in drama; I'm completing my doctorate on German Romanticism this year and I've never really focused on English as it's represented on these tests.)

I took the only ETS practice test today and got 81 of 90 multiple choice questions correct. I did see gaps in my content knowledge, particularly when it came to recognizing specific authors and schools. Again, the test seemed a little too general: it had me identify alliteration twice, for instance, fix a haiku that was missing a syllable, and identify Melville as the most likely topic of a discussion about a book featuring a "Leviathan" and "Ahab."

Have the AP English exams changed since I took them in 2001 and 2002? I don't recall them being content-based at all, purely analysis-based. I can imagine those prep materials being a decent workout for the analysis portion of the Praxis II exam, but not the content knowledge part, where I struggle a bit.

Any guidance toward comprehensive lists of what is and isn't on the Praxis II 0044 as far as schools/movements, authors, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Jenjenjude

Jenjenjude New Member

Jan 1, 2013

Thanks! I'll definitely do my own time-tracking. Did you take the computerized or paper-based version, charlottesome? I'm debating their various merits and wondering if being able to type my constructed response outweighs my desire to not have to read from a computer screen for two hours.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2013

Jenjenjude, with that kind of background you'll be familiar with the German analogues for the various movements, and that will probably help you fake answers you don't know cold. I also suspect you'll do well enough on the analysis questions (which a sensible teacher test will privilege anyway) that you can afford to give away some points on literary movements.

You might also spend some time in a Barnes & Noble schmoozing with Princeton Review's guide for GRE English Lit and perhaps a relevant For Dummies or Complete Idiot's guide to either or both of English lit or American lit.

4. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Aug 13, 2013

Praxis II 5044 (Computer Delivered Verson)

How much weight do the constructed-response questions have for the Praxis II 5044/0044? Are they simply worth 0 to three points for each response? I think my stronger area is in writing, not in the multiple choice questions.