English lesson planning/ no English experience

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Paige Barthel, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Paige Barthel

Paige Barthel New Member

Jul 18, 2019

Hello!
    I recently accepted a job teaching English for all grades at a high school in South Dakota. I'm very excited for the job but there is one small catch; I went to school for History and had my student teaching experience in a Social Studies classroom. The previous English teacher left on bad terms with the school and so I am unable to ask her for old lesson plans or advice. I would love any help that I could get for lesson plans for the following classes:
    - American Literature
    - British Literature
    - Composition I and II
    - Creative Writing
    - Speech

Thank you so much in advance, and I look forward to any responses!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2019

I taught British literature for years. What novels will you be teaching? You can start with Beowulf, do the General Prologue of the Canterbury Tales and one or two tales, some sonnets, a Shakespeare play (I’m partial to Hamlet,) some Romantic poetry, a 19th century novel (I did Frankenstein,) and 1984. For the last few years I taught, we added The Kite Runner to the 12th grade curriculum, which meant a bit less poetry in order to fit it in. I integrated vocabulary with the current reading, reviewed grammar, and assigned a lot of low-stakes writing. One tip: have students do class work and homework in a composition notebook that you collect periodically and grade for completion, or perhaps only grade portions that you don’t identify ahead of time.

4. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jul 19, 2019

If you're interested, I have curriculum from my division that you can look at for American and British. PM and I'll send you the links. That's a lot for any teacher, but especially for someone with no English background. I would get a hold of the textbooks they have for those subjects and see what has been typical for those classes. I've taught all those except Creative Writing, so feel free to reach out--I can give you some specifics on stories, concepts, if I know specifically what you're teaching.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 19, 2019

If it is a public school, you should be able to find state standards on the education department website. Our district also publishes curriculum maps online.