English Language Learners... How do they learn?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by lehcar1021, Oct 9, 2006.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

Does anyone have information or know of a good book/website where I can get information on how to work with and/or what techniques to use with infants/toddlers (birth-24 months) who are English Language Learners. Although some of them are not talking yet, the primary language spoken in the home is NOT English. Any ideas or resources? Thanks!

3. Ms. K

Ms. K Rookie

Oct 9, 2006

We had a presenter come to our school before the school year started. Her name is Jo Gusman and she has done a lot of reasearch on working with ELL students. Her website is www.nhie.net
    Hope this helps!

4. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 9, 2006

I teach ESL to ELLs in NYC. I do not have experience working with preschool children, but I just thought that I would chime in.
    You will find that at that age, they will learn English at lightning speed. It is really amazing, and I think that with time, they will begin to pick it up.

I would suggest incorporating a lot of visuals, photos, etc. If you are doing a read aloud, point to the photos that correspond with the word, gesture when you are speaking so that what you are saying is more comprehensible.

The goal is comprehensible input.

5. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Oct 9, 2006

Take a look at the book The More-Than-Just-Surviving Handbook: ESL for Every Classroom Teacher by Barbara Law and Mary Eckes.

I bought this book for one of my ESL classes in college and I found it to be very helpful. It has great examples on how/what to teach, book and internet resources, forms to use, etc.

6. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 9, 2006

I also want to add that everything you are already doing in preschool, ie. accessing multiple intelligences with hands on activities, music, total physical response, play, realia (toys), is exactly what ELLs need. You are in a fortunate position as a preschool teacher!