English/LA/Literacy-Ideas-->First Day

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Thia, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Thia

Thia Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Hi....I'm looking to brainstorm some ideas for a first day lesson. The students know each other, but this is my first time teaching in this school. I'd like to do some type of lesson that incorporates Literacy and Character Traits with the Student's Character Traits.
    I thought of doing some type of chart of similarities/differences ....
    Anyone have any type of "lesson plan" that would tie in the students to character traits?
    Thanks
    Thia

3. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

Don't know if this will help a little -- I found an activity through TeacherMagazine.org. It has the kids involved in team problem-solving activities to determine where each student sits. Each day the activity is more challenging. It helped me to see right away who were the leaders, the followers, and the ones who needed prodding. You could do these and then discuss the character trait(s) you observed them demonstrating. Instead of the discussion, you could have them do a quickwrite about what they just did, their observation, etc.

I did this activity and then walked them through how I expect them to line up before class, walk into my room, and showed where I post the agenda, objectives, and HW.

4. Thia

Thia Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

Thanks Aussiegirl.....but I only have 3 kids in one class and 4 in the other. No joke. Resource room teacher-

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

I like this

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

:yeahthat: