English 6-12 FTCE Help???

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Stephanie Fopiano, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Stephanie Fopiano

Stephanie Fopiano Rookie

Jul 27, 2019

Hi everyone!
    I am taking both parts of the English 6-12 for the first time in 2 weeks, and am very nervous!! I've been putting this exam off for over a year! (I get severe test anxiety!!!)
    I've been studying the NavaEd study guide for both sections, but am concerned about the essay portion since it has been SO long since I've written an essay! (OR been in college!) Even the multiple choice seems like it's going to be very tricky & difficult! I also looked at the Broward County link, but ANY other helpful tips for either the essay OR mult. choice would be awesome!
    Any and ALL tips would be very helpful and appreciated?! Please?? I am a career changer, and NEED to pass this exam in order to begin my teaching career, and do what I truly love!!! (I have been long-term subbing in ELA for middle schools for over 2 years now, and before that in an elementary school; ready to be classroom teacher!!!)
    I've heard this exam can be very difficult if you were NOT an "English" major, or did not earn an undergraduate degree in English. :(
    Any help would be SO much appreciated!! THANK You! And, Good luck to all of you aspiring teachers!

Brittanny Davis likes this.
  3. Stephanie Fopiano

Stephanie Fopiano Rookie

Jul 28, 2019

Hello?? Anyone? I know it was kind of a detailed & longer post, BUT... Could use some suggestions/ helpful tips?!

Brittanny Davis likes this.
  4. Brittanny Davis

Brittanny Davis New Member

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM

I failed the FTCE English 6-12 exam twice and I'm a secondary teacher of 14 years who let my certification expire. This test is brutal! Is there anyone out there who has an updated study guide that they'd like to pass along?
    The two I used were useless - the multiple choice had very little subject area and a lot of pedagogy that had two possible right answers that you had to analyze. There were questions on the exam that weren't in my study guide at all. I'll keep taking it until I pass it but I'm extremely frustrated.... Wishing all of you luck -
    Brittanny

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:57 AM