English 5038

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by frteach, Dec 31, 2015.

1. frteach

frteach Rookie

Dec 31, 2015

I thought I would post my experience with taking this test, in case it helps someone else. I am a foreign language teacher by training and have been teaching for almost 19 years. I needed to get certified in English due to some changes coming down the pike. I started studying about 2 months before the test. I did buy the Mometrix study guide, but I did not find it very helpful. What was helpful was taking the ETS practice test and researching all the topics that I was unfamiliar with. I also read as many authors as I could from the list of authors you should know. Know your romantics!

I studies just a couple of hours a week as I am a full time teacher and a mom. I only took the one ETS practice test. I liked the computer test a lot and had plenty of time to get through all the questions and even to go back over the ones I was less confident about. I marked any question I wasn't 100% sure on and went back over those at the end. I still finished with about 15 minutes of extra time.

I took the test in early Dec and scores become official this week. I scored a 190, which is passing in my state so I am all set. My weakest section was reading. The other two sections were very strong and I earned a maximum of points there.

Hope this helps someone considering taking the test. I have no background in American or British Lit. and I was easily able to pass this on the first try.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2015

Congratulations, frteach! Researching topics on one's own can be time-consuming but is often a very good way to learn the content.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. frteach

frteach Rookie

Jan 1, 2016

Yup, it was time consuming, but it really helped me fill in gaps. I also studied a lot of literary terminology, which also came in handy.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2016

Indeed, indeed. And the knowledge you've won is likely to stick with you as you begin to teach.