Engaing Math Lessons?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Meghan1186, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Meghan1186

Meghan1186 New Member

Jul 24, 2009

What are some engaging, creative math lessons that you have taught or that you know about? I have a second interview for a 6th grade gen. ed. position on Monday (eeek!) and I need to teach a 1/2hour math lesson...ANY help would be great! Thanks! :)

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

4. MrsChandler

MrsChandler Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Try the order of operations power teaching/ whole brain teaching... I just saw it the other day on YouTube and it blew my mind!!! Good luck!!

5. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Power Teaching

Like the previous poster posted (okay that sounds repetitive) Power Teaching, now Whole Brain Teaching, is amazingly interactive. If you need to do a lesson for administrators and teachers this is something that shows your class will be interactive. I have used it in my class since last year. My students loved it. I am a trainer in the program, if you have any questions about it let me know.

Watch the videos on YouTube or TeacherTube. Simply search for Power Teaching you will find a bunch ranging from K to high school.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2009

You can also search for math lessons on Learner.org and PBS Mathwire, I believe. :) Both sites show videos of teachers teaching the lessons.

7. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Creating a lesson on measurement opens up the door for lesson, interactive and home reinforcement. I once did a lesson on area and gave the lesson (text and ppt) and then broke the kids up into groups of four students and had four items to have them find the area for (desk, triangle I had, ect.) and then for homework gave them the assignment to come up with two objects from home in which they were to find the ares (tv, book, bed, etc.) Lessons like this are easy to create and show lecture/hands on and follow up) Good luck on your interview!