Engaging TAG students

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms_B, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Hi,

I am a new teacher (I will be teaching 4th grade in the fall) and I am currently finishing up my Master's degree. One of the very last things that I have to do for my degree is write a research proposal based on a weakness I identified in my student teaching last year. That said, I am researching how to engage my TAG students as I feel I didn't do the best job at that last year. I would love to hear anybodies ideas and strategies for meeting those student's needs and keeping them engaged in the classroom.

Thank you!

3. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

What is TAG?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2008

"Talented and Gifted", I believe. Other states have that as GT (Gifted and Talented) or GATE (Gifted and Talented Education); still others don't use the term "gifted" of extraordinarily bright kids.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I do a lot of pre-testing, particularly in math, and if a student demonstrates competence, I provide alternative projects, computer learning, etc, while I cover that topic with the other students. Sometimes a student who tests out chooses to make a game or review project for the others; I consider this a good use of time, because if they can produce something on topic, they have to really understand it.