Engaging students in Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by suzerich, Nov 3, 2011.

1. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Nov 3, 2011

I am completing a 12 week Clinical Teaching assignment in 6th grade regular and honors math. I have 15 days left. On Tuesday, I will be observed for the last time. I have done well with classroom management, etc. with the students. However, the lessons that we do are basically workbook notetaking and going over homework. My observer says that I need to find ways to engage the students. It's a little difficult to do, because I am teaching the way my Cooperating Teacher teaches. Can anyone give me pointers on how to engage the students when the lessons really are not engaging? Tuesday's lesson is supposed to be introducing graphs in the Honors classes.

I have really enjoyed my assignment, love the students and staff and am sad to see it ending so soon. Hopefully, I will be able to find a job soon, although the Texas climate is still not great. Math is not my subject either, so it has been a challenge for me. I have found that I really enjoy it.

Thanks for your advice.

Suze

3. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Nov 3, 2011

Individual white boards are a good way to involve students in math.

Pass out a board and marker to each student in the class, write the problem on the board in front of the class, have them solve it on their white board and hold up the answer.

If you don't have white boards, you can use the back of papers from the recycling if you have any.

Partner work is good too. Have the, solve a problem and compare answers with a partner or work on a tricky one together.

4. Rich Games

Rich Games Rookie

Nov 4, 2011

I play a lot of games with my students, which really engages them. Maybe for graphs you could play a quick and simple game where the students then need to graph the result.

You could also engage their creativity and tell them you will be looking for the most well presented graph with interesting ideas. Like a graph drawn with snakes or pictures relevant to the data they are graphing.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

What topic are you talking about?

The easiest way is not to rely on gimicks, but to find things that make the topic itself intersting.