Engaging science experiments and open house display

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jul 22, 2017

I hope I am putting this in the right forum spot. I will be a new teacher for 6-12th in a small rural school this fall, and I really would like to welcome students with something that peaks their curiosity and engages them on the first day and/or at the open house. For the open house I am trying to come up with either a demo experiment that is real cool but might not require a lot of input from me to that I can still talk with parents, etc. Or, maybe it is something simple the students can go up to and manipulate safely.

Then, on their first day after covering safety basics, students could be involved in a wow experiment to start off that they can later investigate to stimulate inquiry. I have found a lot already, but I need to see where to get and price certain substances, and I am worried about anything to hazardous to start with.

Thoughts and ideas are so welcomed!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2017

How about a STEM challenge, or team building activity? The spaghetti marshmallow tower is a good one!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 28, 2017

STEM challenges are a good first day activity.

My first real ngss inquiry based activity last year dealt with explaining this phenomena, by drawing models, sharing ideas, editing models, researching, editing, sharing, then I corrected misconceptions. That's a lot more than one day obviously.
    http://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/physicsathome/magicwaterglass.cfm

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2017

Take a look at the Royal Society of Chemistry website. They have some good videos of demonstrations you could do. I always get an awesome response to the coffee whitener experiment. I have also done the methane rocket experiment but experience has taught me to do it outside.
    Fruit batteries, van de Graff generator, pH rainbows!

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 29, 2017

I just did something similar to an open house. Here are some ideas: for demos, I did the traffic light experiment and the blue bottle experiment; flame tests using spray bottles, change of colours using different indicators. For something that people could be hands on with, I did some simple precipitate experiements e.g. Lead nitrate and potassium iodide, those with copper salts, cobalt salts, iron salts and VDG machine.