Engaging Lesson Plans Class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kyle Spearin, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Kyle Spearin

Kyle Spearin Rookie

Nov 28, 2017

Hello All,

I'm in the process of building a professional development course. The course teaches people how to create engaging lesson plans for Social Studies and English teachers. Do you have any suggestions for what I can add specifically that would appeal to people who need help creating engaging lessons?

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 28, 2017

I find that activities that have students moving around the room help keep them engaged. So tomorrow for example (6th grade ELA) I will have 20 different short passages posted around the room with questions about author's purpose. Instead of having it in worksheet format, and posting them around the room it definitely keeps the students more engaged.

I also like activities that encourage working together but maybe a bit of competition as well. So today in science for example students were in groups of 4-5 and each group was asked a question related to a term/person/date that we have learned about. If they got it right they got to put a post-it note on the board on a 6x6 grid that I had drawn. If they got it wrong, next group got to try for it. Each group had different colored post-it notes and the goal was to get 4 in a row. If a group "steals" an answer (i.e. gets it correct after another group got it wrong) then they also get their own turn which lets them put up two post-it notes. They only get 5 post-it notes and on a turn can either put up a post-it or move one they already have up there. So, students have to work cooperatively to get the answer to the question, and to decide where to put the post-it. But there's also a bit of competition with wanting to be the group that gets 4 in a row.

Kyle Spearin likes this.
  4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2017

I'd read Teach like a Pirate.

Kyle Spearin likes this.
  5. XWordHobbyist

XWordHobbyist Rookie

Dec 11, 2017

I have a book called Instructional Design that Soars that may or may not be applicable to your particular course. I hope you'll share it once you're done though! It sounds helpful and fascinating.