Engaging all students in group lessons - students with severe needs

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newspedteach, Oct 27, 2011.

1. newspedteach

newspedteach New Member

Oct 27, 2011

Any tips or tricks for teaching methods that help include a wide range of students with severe disabilities in engaging small group or whole class lessons?

3. stevensone77

stevensone77 New Member

Nov 2, 2011

Hi. This is a tough one. It really, as always, depends on the kid and the subject you are trying to teach. I typically try to use manipulatives that relate to the group activity and have them explore, choose from, etc. those items. If you have switches with voice output that they can activate, putting items on those and having them explore works well too. If they are able to make a choice, give two items (one related to topic and one not related) and have them choose the item that relates.
    Hope this helps some.

4. betechange

betechange New Member

Nov 9, 2011

I believe that it is possible but it takes a lot of patience and and practice on your part. I'm also planning to teach M/S as well. In the current classroom (post-secondary) that I work in, we only have 5 students and four of them actually sit together along a big table, face staff, and work invidual works.
    In another classroom (elementary) that I observed, when it comes to circle time, all staff have to present, sit with the students, stay very close to those who can't sit still. I believe it is possible, it just takes time and a lot of patience.
    I think you need to pretty good amount of staff to supervise small groups.
    hope it helps