Engagement Rings

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by reverie, Jan 11, 2009.

1. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings, woo! I don't know a whole lot about them, but obviously we're looking for the best quality at an affordable price. Is there a "normal" size for a diamond? I'm just curious about the size most people have.

Also, we did a web search on a jewelry store site where you search the four Cs (you choose the setting and diamond separately). We found a diamond that was good in all areas except the clarity was the lowest on the chart. Do you think that matters? Or would it not be noticeable?

Thanks!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

My engagment ring was between 1/2 to 3/4 carrat. It was a solitare ring with a single marquis diamond, which are known to look bigger than they actually are because of the angular cuts. My ring looked huge! Notice how I'm speaking of my ring in past tense? Yeah. :)

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Past tense? Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find someone that makes you happy.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

I think it depends on the size of your finger the size of the diamond that would look good. I have a size 4.5 ring finger so 3/4 of a carat looks good on my finger. But bigger doesn't always mean better. A smaller diamond with good clarity, color and cut looks more dazzling than a bigger diamond. Also, more expensive doesn't always mean better either. My brother bought me SIL a 10,000 dollar diamond e-ring, my ring we DF got for 2,500 (it's appraised at 6,000) but when my baby sister's bf looked at both our rings he thought mine was the more expensive (he told my sister later). So yes you want a good clarity. You bf should go to the stores and see what they have, you can always talk a jeweler down. Rings are usually priced at least 50% over what they should be.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

My ring is a size 4, round solitaire, just under 1 karat. (He did GOOD considering I told him a stone wasn't necessary). People comment on how huge it is. I know DH was super concerned with clarity. Looks great to me!

7. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

My son purchased an engagement ring this past December. He had no idea the guidelines. He did not want to go to "mall" jewelry stores as he had heard some horror stories about them. So he went to a reputable jeweler in his town who has been in business for over 30 years. The saleswoman spent over 2 hours with my son explaining everything. (I don't think you'd get this personal treatment at the mall) He felt very confident and chose a ring. The diamonds were set, he picked it up and surprised his girl. They went back so the ring could be sized and the jeweler explained the process of insuring the ring and reputable companies to use. Also, the jeweler stands behind the ring for XX amount of time. (can't remember) no matter where they live. My son made a smart decision in going this way.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

How exciting!! :woot: :D

There is no "normal" size for a diamond. I would say it depends on your tastes, budget, the cut of the diamond, etc. As far as clarity goes, I think if you go with a diamond like a round brilliant you can "afford" to go with something with less clarity as inclusions are harder to see with the naked eye (for a lack of a better word... clearly I'm no expert). If you go with a diamond like an asscher cut or emerald cut, then you'll want to go with something with fewer inclusions.

DH did a TON of research and set up a special savings account before buying my ring. My e-ring has an emerald cut center stone that is a little over a carat (I wear a size 6 ring), E color, and VS1 clarity. You cannot see the inclusions with the naked eye, but there are a couple of "feathers".

I would second bballlady's suggestion about not going to a mall jewelry store. In my husband's research he has found that the mall stores overcharge on diamonds that aren't that great of quality.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

My local jeweler is so funny. He said his favorite part of diamonds are the inclusions which he called baby diamonds haha.
    He than showed me the ones in my with his Magnifying machine thingy.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2009

It really all depends on what you like, but I would go for good clarity.

I have a 1/2 carat princess cut solitaire in a simple gold band. DH picked it out all by himself, and he did a great job!

11. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

My husband had the ring made and chose everything without my knowing (I knew he was doing it, but that was all). He did wonderful, I think. I don't know much about the details, but I know that it is about 1/3 of a carat, and there is an inclusion in it -- but it looks extra sparkly because of that! I love it. He also had the wrap designed to go around it for when we got married .. 11 little stones set in a kind of wave pattern that goes around the engagement ring.

"Non-perfect" diamonds are typically cheaper, and they have extra character... something to think of! :) Congratulations!

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jan 11, 2009

Consider another gem for your ring... My ring is a 1 carat emerald-cut pink sapphire with two 1/4 carat diamonds on the sides. It is beautiful and unique! I get compliments on it all the time.

[​IMG]

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

Mine is just a single 3/4 carat solitare.

Erin, that ring is beautiful!

14. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 11, 2009

Ooh, that is pretty, Erin! Thanks everyone for the input. I don't want him spending too much, but at the same time, it's something I'll have forever so I want it to be something I'll like.

15. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Jan 12, 2009

My e-ring is a natural pearl with a diamond chip on either side, and the wedding band is super thin with 5 diamond chips-- very low profile, haha. But, they are an heirloom set from my husband's great grandmother, so they are extremely special and very unique. I get complimented all the time on how beautiful and "orginal" the set is :)

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

Dh found a great ring designer through a co-worker. He helped him get a 1 carat diamond quite inexpensively, and designed the setting in platinum. I picked the design out at Tiffany's, and I think it was over 21k there. When dh had it designed, it cost him just under 5k. But it appraised for close to 10k. So I would say find a designer.

I'm glad I went with the 1 carat. I tried on a 3/4, but the 1 seemed just right. Now I feel I can hold my own against all the very rich women at my gym, even though I am not rich. ;)

I'm not sure if it's clarity, but I've noticed sometimes diamonds look a little yellow or have flashes of purple. I would try to get the color as clear as possible, as that's something you can see from a distance.

17. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 12, 2009

Mine is a 3/4 radiant cut solitaire and it is just right for my finger. My fiance actually said he was looking at that one and the 1 carat and the quality of the 3/4 carat was better than the particular 1 carat they had (or maybe he's just saying that! lol). My wedding band has 1/4 carat diamonds on it so I joked that after June I'll have a full carat on my finger. ;)

But I agree, there's no "right size." My sister has about 2.5 carats (3 stones) and it looks great on her without being too flashy, but I think it'd be "too much" for me cause I can't carry "bling" off as well as she can!

18. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jan 12, 2009

It really depends on your taste. My ring is right around 1/2 carat TDW. The center stone is a 1/3 carat marquise. Along the sides of the bands, there are three diamonds. Although I wear a 7, I don't think my ring looks small by any means. When we got engaged, we were 19 and both in college. My husband choose to find a ring set rather than a solitaire and band. He wanted a set that was "made for each other" just as we were. There was a LOT of sentiment behind that. :) My ring is large enough to match up with most of my colleagues and small enough not to be a huge distraction or problem (as in getting snagged on things). I also have a marquise anniversary ring that has seven marquise set inside a beautiful band with filigree.

Find something that looks good on you... some people would rather have a smaller, more perfect diamond. Others would like a larger diamond with a few imperfections. I am about half-way in between.

Good luck...

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 12, 2009

I don't think there are many standards when finding a size. My engagement rings (he got me two I could wear together, then I replaced one with my wedding band) are both bands. My wedding ring isn't the normal band and I don't have the usual diamond solitaire for my engagement ring. I think you should go with whatever you like best or think looks best on you!

My wedding band has mother of pearl inlaid in the middle. I got married in Kauai and bought my ring from a Hawaiian jeweler--I just liked the way it looked! :)

Here's a pic: Then my engagement ring is just a band of small diamonds all the way around.
    [​IMG]

I know people who also get gem stones in their engagement or wedding rings...so it's really whatever you think!

I will tell you that Platinum (not sure what metal you're going with) scratches the easiest and the most! My rings are white gold and they're holding up very well! Good luck and congrats... :)

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 12, 2009

Clarity is one of the most notable things in my opinion.You can really notice a diamond with high clarity - it sparkles like nothing else! I would rather have a smaller diamond with good clarity myself, which is what I chose.

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

Like everyone said, it really depends on your hands... and clarity/color! I have my mother's ring - 7/8 carat, 6 prong platinum head with a white gold band (and since it's 32 years old, I don't have to get it dipped each year!). It shines at the bottom of a coal mine - I had it appraised at 15k - but if I'm being perfectly honest, sometimes I think it's a bit too big for me because it gets caught on everything and I'm terrified to lose it (I'm a 4.5).

I also have her 10th anniversary ring - 1 carat, white gold with 3 tiny sapphires (so it look like a flower). This one, though, is yellow when compared with my engagement ring. Appraised at about 3k.

I would try on a whole bunch (fun!) to make sure you're comfortable with the size. Congratulations!

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

Mine is just over a carat. I don't know how I feel about making sure you have the perfect stone - after 15 years of wearing it, I'm not that careful about making sure it's clean, so it always looks a little dingy, no matter what.

I have a very wide, plain gold wedding band, and a thinner anniversary ring that is a band of 10 small-ish diamonds (totaling 1.5 carats altogether). I like the look of a lot of sparkle on my hand!
    Kim

23. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

My engagement ring is a ruby with two diamonds on either side. I wanted something "different" than everyone else; is anyone surprised?

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2009

You? Different? Nooooo....:whistle:

:haha:

25. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 13, 2009

Mine is about a half carat with just under a half in side stones. My wedding band is 7 tiny stones set across the top of the band. It's beautiful!! It definitely isn't the largest one in the room, and sometimes my DH comments about wishing it was larger, but it's fine bcause I like it. I love the way it sparkles!!

26. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jan 13, 2009

My engagement ring is also an heirloom. It was my fiance's grandma's. It is an opal surrounded by small diamonds. I think it is beautiful and unique. I don't go for the traditional type rings that everyone hears about on the jeweler commercials.
    I prefer jewelery that has meaning and is different from the normal.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

I love how excited everyone is about their rings! Really, is there anything more more exciting than shopping for a ring when you first get engaged?

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 14, 2009

haha nope not surprised. :lol:

I know a lot of people that don't want diamonds.