Engagement ring too big

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 18, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

My engagement ring is too big. It keeps turning upside down and has almost fallen off a few times washing my hands. My fiance says its a really hard metal to work with so it will be hard to find a jeweler to fix it. While I look, is there any solution in the meantime? I'm going to lose it!

3. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 18, 2013

They sell these things called "ring snuggies" at Walmart in the jewelry selection for around 3 dollars. They are plastic pieces that you slide on to tighten the ring for now.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

Oh neat! I don't really shop at Walmart, but I'll have to venture up there.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

Ditto what the previous poster said. Don't delay, those things have the uncanny ability to slip off and you not realize it! In the meantime, I would take it off and put in the jewelry box until tomorrow or Saturday or whenever you get a filler material. I know you want to sport that diamond, but you will be much much much more upset if you lose it and can't find it/someone else took it!

I got engaged in undergrad school, and even though my ring fit, I hated when I would get water in b/w my ring and finger so I'd take it off if I was washing my hands. One day, I took it off and put it on top of my dormitories' kitchen microwave, cooked my food, went upstairs, sat down, ate my lunch--and then realized my engagement ring was still down in the kitchen! I never in my life rain down flights of stairs so fast... thankfully it was still there. I imagine if someone had noticed it, I would never have seen it again...

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 18, 2013

A jeweler might also be able to attach a little metal sizer for now too. I had one for my ring, because I didn't want to ship it off right after I got it. I just remembered that one.

Good luck and be careful! :)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 18, 2013

The plastic ring sizes are sold more places than Walmart. I've seen them at Versona, Claire's, Charming Charlie, etc. I buy mine at Walmart, though.

The metal ones bland in better. I got those at the jewelers. They aren't as comfortable for me, tough.

My fingers swell, so I have to have my rings big.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2013

Which metal is it? Titanium and tungsten cannot be resized, but I think most other metals can be.

9. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

Mine was too- after losing a few pounds. So we took it just yesterday to get resized. I will be without it for 2 weeks. :(

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

I purchased a tighter fitting narrow band that I wear as a ring guard. I think it looks cool and it secures my ring. I actually bought a few of the narrow bands to wear on other fingers so it looks like a fashion statement.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2013

What kind of metal is it? I have jewelers in my family...can't imagine anything they can't do.

12. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 19, 2013

Our jeweler placed a silver-looking ring guard on my wife's ring at no charge. It's just a metal strip, maybe precious metal but I doubt it, that wraps around the shank in two places and follows the bottom curve of the shank creating that smaller size. We were also told that having the ring re-sized, depending completely on the style, is sometimes not a good idea because it could create stress in the settings and may cause stones to fall out because of stretching and bending. My wife's ring is the type where resizing isn't a good choice. The ring guard creates the fit, allows her finger to size and re-size to fit regardless of weight loss or gain, and it matches the white gold without standing out.

Just check with the jeweler where it was purchased if that's possible. You may get services without any cost to you.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2013

It's titanium! I didn't want a big diamond but he wanted to get me a nice ring, so he got me a titanium one!