Engagement and wedding rings

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Jun 30, 2012.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

Just wondering - do you wear your rings 24/7 or not? My mom never takes her off - shower, sleep, etc - it is always on. And if she does have to take it off for some reason, like when she was pregnant, she always has my dad put it back on her finger.

I don't wear mine like that at all. I do not wear it to sleep, in the shower, when cleaning, gardening, etc. Even now, I haven't really gone out all day so I never put it on this morning. I only really put it on when I am in a situation that I would wear other jewelry. I am sure once I get back to work, I will wear it every day.

Just wondering what others do.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

The only time I take off my rings (engagement, wedding, and a claddagh ring on my right hand) is for surgery.

Other than that, they've been on my hands for 23 years tomorrow.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

I very rarely wear my wedding ring.

Now that I have "repaired" my original engagement ring by resetting it, I wear it probably 70% of the time when I am out and about, but never at home.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

I only wore mine when I was going somewhere, and even then in the summer when it was really hot I couldn't wear it because my hands swell in hot weather.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

When I was engaged, it was on my finger unless I was in the shower or at the beach. I had nightmares about losing it in the ocean or watching it slip down the drain... it was my mother's ring.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

I take my off at night to sleep and put it on after I shower in the morning. I don't like wearing it in the shower or in the pool. Also depending on what I am cooking I take it off sometimes for that as well. If I am going to be doing a lot of typing at the computer, I take it off then too.

8. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jun 30, 2012

I don't wear mine in the shower/swimming or to bed.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I wear mine except when I shower or do something like gardening or fishing ... mine comes off easily (I wear a 3.5 but this is a 4 to get over my knuckle ... I have very bony fingers!) :)

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

I don't wear mine in the shower or when washing the dishes. Other than that, I wear mine, and in fact my fingers feel naked without them.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2012

My engagement ring is a bit big now that I've lost weight and I'm afraid to resize it (its already been sized, as I'm only a size 4). I wear my wedding ring all the time unless I'm working with raw meat or putting on lotion.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I wear my wedding ring all the time; I take off my engagement ring when doing heavy cleaning or gardening because I don't like it under the gloves I wear.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2012

I don't wear mine at home, when I'm fishing, when I'm twirling, at the beach or pool, or when I'm working with dirt, chemicals, or paint.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2012

I wear my wedding band all the time; however, I take my engagement ring off when I shower, sleeping, or working outside.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

I seldom wear mine now because I don't want to ruin them with chemicals.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

I am surprised at how many of you have your wedding and engagement rings separated.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

My engagement ring and wedding ring are the same ring. I only ever wear my wedding ring when I'm going out of the house (when I remember). I never, ever wear it at home.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

I actually won't even have a wedding band. I have the engagement ring - I figure one ring per major life event is enough. lol.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 1, 2012

I wear both of mine all the time unless I am kneading dough or doing something else messy with my hands in the kitchen.

20. ecogirl

ecogirl Guest

Jul 1, 2012

Me too! Mine is an "eternity" ring which is basically a band of diamonds. It's technically a wedding ring according to how jewelry stores and the jewelry industry define "eternity ring". I don't have a separate engagement ring and I don't care. That's the way I wanted it. I didn't want a ring with a large single stone. I didn't want 2 rings either. I wanted something nice and comfortable and fortunately my husband just wanted me to be happy and was happy to oblige and let me pick out the ring I wanted which I got online at James Allen.

I almost never take it off. It's very comfortable. If I do deep cleaning, i wear rubber gloves.

I have a nail brush which i use all the time when I wash my hands so I will brush it if need be. And I use liquid soap most of the time.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2012

My two wedding rings are sets. One is saudered together, and the other is not but the two rings fit together so they rarely come apart.

I wear my husband's ring on my left hand and my late husband's ring on my right.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2012

I don't wear my engagement ring, although I should get it repaired and wear it on my right hand. Wedding ring only comes off if I'm putting on lotion, because it's actually two bands that weave together a little like this. Mine is titanium, though, not gold.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

I don't wear my rings when I'm working out-my fingers get really swollen. Otherwise I wear it the rest of the time.

24. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I don't take mine off unless I'm cleaning them or getting them repaired. I wear them in the shower, working, sleeping, swimming. I've got a nice indent on my finger where my rings reside, so they aren't going anywhere. I did take my rings off when I was giving birth because the IV made my fingers swell a little. Oh, and I take them off when my daughter wants to try them on. :)

25. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 1, 2012

I only take mine off to put lotion on or if I am using my hands to mix something like meatloaf.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

I never wear mine at home, and wear them out of the house about 75% of the time.

DH and I also have tattooed wedding bands, so I still have a ring even when I'm not wearing my rings!

I'm sure I am going to lose my rings any day now though - when I wear them I'm always slipping them off to wash my hands or something, and then forgetting! My student teacher last year would find my rings floating around the classroom and stick them on my laptop for me (on a post it, so I'd be sure to notice!)

27. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

This is me. I never take them off unless they will get messy, like with lotion or some sort of food. My engagement ring and wedding band are sautered together. They fit really well and I wear them through all of my normal activities.

28. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 2, 2012

I take mine off all the time. I hate wearing ANY jewelery while washing dishes, cleaning, baking, gardening, putting on lotion, washing my hands, showering, going to the beach or the pool, etc. I have a ring holder in the kitchen and the bathroom so I can safely take them off and not worry about them. If I go to my sister's house to go in the pool I bring my ring box and put the ring in it in my bag while we swim. There are also times that I'm just hot or sticky and I get claustrophobic and can't stand the feel of them.

Outside of the house, I wear them 100% of the time....but I loathe having to wash my hands in public because I do NOT like the feel of wet rings and I do not like the idea of risking taking them off, either.

On the plus side, my jeweler has told me that the diamonds in my ring are gorgeous because they have never seen soap scum or cleanser, and should stay that way.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

I wear my almost alll the time. Mine are seperate as well... I don't wear it when I'm do something messy either. Otherwise it's on. When I was pg I think I had to take it off some I put in on my necklace...