Engage New York

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, May 22, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 22, 2015

Next year my school is switching to Engage New York math curriculum. I'm in favor, generally because I hate our current math curriculum and as the year went on just sort of ignored it--as did many other teachers in the school.

But, despite some skimming of the material (it's largely reserved for my summer study), I know nothing about it.

Any experience, insight, opinions on it?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2015

I used it when I taught K.
    Like all things, there are good and bad aspects of it. It is very rigorous and I had a very difficult time keeping up with my pacing.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 22, 2015

I use it, but I modify it to fit my needs. I actually like the program a lot.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 22, 2015

It's okay. It's good at the elementary level (sort of... I have my disagreements with it, especially how it has created new terminology to replace terms like standard deviation and variance in the statistics unit). I'm not a fat AT ALL of the HS level algebra, geometry, or trig books/materials. I just think it's a total mess, especially the geometry stuff.

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 22, 2015

I've used it in grades 2 and 3 now and I mostly like it. I think it is, for the most part laid out well with lessons building on each other and it definitely gives you a good structure to start from even if you end up needing to modify it some. I'd agree with giraffe326 that the pacing can be very tough though. Kids who get things quickly will be okay, but kids who don't will struggle if forced to stick to the pacing of the modules. I'm a special ed teacher and a lot of times my kids just needed more time with a concept than they got in a day so we ended up behind.

7. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Feb 19, 2016

I'd love to hear how things are with the EngageNY (Eureka) program. I'm using the eureka geometry. It seems to be way over my students heads, so I'm having to supplement a lot. I'm liking the use of the transformations to relate everything; but it's taking way to much time.

My school district has now announced that everyone is going to the Eureka program. It will be interesting to see the differences as the kids grow from 1st through high school with this new program. That is if my school district sticks with it; they seem to not let changes sit long enough to see any influence.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 19, 2016

The stuff I've seen from EngageNY looks overpriced. And given that it's free...

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 19, 2016

My maternity sub gave up on Engage NY. I've been back two weeks and still haven't brought it fully out. Technically we don't have to use it so...

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2016

I don't really have any experience, just the anecdotal note that I considered using it during my maternity leave position, but that was more-so because our curriculum was a binder of random copies of math sheets/possible resources...and it would've provided some needed structure.

Backroads likes this.
  11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 19, 2016

I've used bits and pieces of Engage for a few years. This year, my district adopted Eureka, which is essentially the same thing. I will say it's easier using the whole thing than select lessons as each day builds on the previous day. District wide, the students are struggling with the rigor. It's worse in the upper elementary grades because it assumes you've used the curriculum since K, so there's a lot of missing building blocks for my 5th graders.

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 20, 2016

I think it's the worst math program I've ever experienced.

WonderW05 and Backroads like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 21, 2016

There's some mental math stuff in it I love as well as some handy drills, but I'm finding myself going back to my old thing of making up my own math curriculum. The rest of my team is more or less doing the same. We've been supplementing since the beginning of the year.

14. vibink

vibink New Member

Apr 16, 2016

This may be helpful - we've pulled together a bunch of EngageNY 8th grade math questions (as well as a bunch of other sources) over at Open Lesson Plan Project - you can easily edit questions and see edits other teachers have made, to make the content specific for your classroom.

We're in early stages right now so would love for you to visit and let me know what you think! Message me for details.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  15. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Apr 23, 2016

Ok, I can understand the Math being an issue, but what about the ELA?

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2016

This is my second year using EngageNY. The first year I didn't like it at all. I felt it was confusing and way over the kids' heads. This year some of the kids are coming in knowing the vocabulary already as a few second grade teachers used it too. Because I'm more comfortable with it I know what to eliminate and what not to. We got some Smart board lessons on TPT and we went through and organized the student books they way we want them to look. I like it now.