Engage New York

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2013

I don't teach math this year, but our parish is solely using the Engage New York. I think it's Integrated somthing. It's basically a scripted math program that is designed for CCSSS. Our math teachers are really struggling with it. I know that I saw that New York's scores weren't very high, so I'm not sure why the powers that be chose this over the units our own teachers were writing. I'm just curious if others know what the program is or have any tips that I can pass along. Our 4th grade math teacher (who is awesome and came to us from high school - so she knows her math) is about ready to lose her mind with it. We had 1 year of a transitional curriculum and this year we are fully CCSS, so these kids haven't had CCSS at all before (other than transitional). They were given a document of all the "gaps" that they need to fill between Louisiana's original curriculum and CCSS, and it's huge. I'm just trying to find some relief for them if anyone has anything to share.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 21, 2013

I wish I had something to share, other than more bad news. My district has decided that 3rd and up don't need a curriculum, just an entirely unrealistic and developmentally inappropriate pacing guide, and the internet (aka Teacherspayteachers, and more $$$ out of the teachers' pockets). That, coupled with a group of incoming third graders who (in addition to no CCSS) basically learned nothing last year in second is ensuring that we are going to have an interesting year!

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 21, 2013

ChristyF go to the website www.engageny.org. This site is the cc for the state of NY. Go to the mathematics area and then each grade level will come up. Modules (or units) are listed for each individual grade. If you play around on the site you will find tons of info. This is what I have to teach this year. It is very overwhelming.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2013

Thanks, Jan. I changed the title because you reminded me of the program. I'll pass the website on to her. I just got off the phone with her. She's about ready to cry. Three days in and she's still on day 1's lessons. She's stressed.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 21, 2013

Yes,it is very scripted. And there is lesson that must be completed each day which is nearly impossible. As I stated in my prior post I taught part of module 3 last year and was completly overwhelmed by it. My district has run off and bound all of the modules for all k-3 teachers in my building so I won't have to print it myself. This is the part of this year that is the scariest for me and I've been teaching for 30 years. The one good thing is that my district has bought or will buy all necessary manipulatives to go with the modules and will send us for additional training.

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2013

There are a few teachers in our district who are piloted it. I am not sure how it's going for her.

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 22, 2013

Thanks so much for these links.

We don't have any math books or workbooks this year, and it will be great to refer to some of these lessons.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 23, 2013

We are using engage ny this year also. We are all struggling with the math. It's very scripted and I find its hard to follow. We've only taught it for a week so far, but we are taking it one day at a time and we are hoping and praying that it will get better as we get more used to it..

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

My whole school will be using the modules this year for both ELA and Math. We tried parts of them last year with great success!

I wasn't aware states outside of NY would be using them. Our district (and others throughout the state) is sending teachers to Albany to be properly trained - and then train the rest of the staff - in the modules and how to implement them properly.

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

Also, we have been told to teach the modules but modify to our students' needs. It doesn't have to be entirely scripted.

Last year, the lessons start off taking a very long time but once the kids (and teachers) are used to it, the lessons can be completed in one day.