Eng/LangArts Teachers - Independent Readin

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ku_alum, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

I think I've asked this question before, but I need to rethink some ideas ...

What do you do in your classroom for independent reading? How do you assess it?

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

I don't assess it. I read at the same time and set strict guidelines. We start out at only about 10 minutes, but by the end of the year we are reading for at least 20-25 minutes.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

I give my students a journal entry to answer that relates to our objective for the week.

Many of the teachers in my building assess based on pages read (I think I am going to try this) as well as reading strategies or conferencing.

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 15, 2011

Reading journal, or quickwrite after the reading.

6. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 15, 2011

I need to change it up so I've been researching and I might try the "one-pager" from Readicide. www4.smsd.org/catherinereimer/docs/Doc-79401.doc

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

Our independent reading is based on the number of pages the student reads. To get an "a" they have to read 290-300 pages (I think). The minimum they can read is 170. It doesn't matter how many books it takes for them to get to that number, but we do ask that they read at least 25 pages in a book before they give up on it.

To assess them, they keep a reader's notebook, and then we have a one-on-one book talk with them to question them even more. If they satisfy my questions during the discussion, then they get credit for the pages. A lot of teachers question if you can really tell if a student has read, and honestly, I've probably been fooled once or twice, but I would say I can tell 98% of the time. (Plus, you just have to catch one faking it at the beginning of the year and loudly call him/her out in order for the rest of the class to know you're not playing around.) :lol:

It's based on Jane Schaffer's method for independent reading. It works REALLY well for us. I've been using it off and on for about 8 years. The only difficulty I have is with finding enough good material in the library for my students. Our librarian is great, but her budget is small. LOL.

PM me your email and I'll send you our handout if you'd like it!

8. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 15, 2011

My English 12 students must complete a weekly quiz and they have a project at the end. My drama students have a quiz and apply a theatrical skill to the play in question (Design costumes for Death of a Salesman). My AP students have two book talks each month and a criticism they must apply to their reading, and we have monthly Socratic seminars.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

I was also told recently, if the students have a page number goal and they are always just reading the minimum number of pages, then they are probably not really reading. For example, if their goal is 7 pages a day and they always read 7, then they are probably not really reading or understanding the book as someone would want to read more when the book is exciting.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 5, 2011

I really like this! I may try it this year. Thanks for sharing!

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

I like this!

Mopar, is your independent reading done at home or some in the classroom or both? Our reading teachers assign it as homework (and do guided reading in class), but they have issues with kids not reading and parents just signing off on the homework anyway.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

I think that I'm going to use this as well next year. In the past, I've had students write a one-page response in their Reading Response Journals each week. Their response included a brief summary of what they had read and responses to two open-ended prompts. I wasn't pleased with it last year; the students tended not to show much improvement over the year, in spite of conferencing and feedback. I'm needing something new.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

My students read a little bit at school and then some at home. The difference is that I check in with them daily to see how many pages that they read. I ask them. If I see a string of 7 pages (their minimum goal), then I know that they probably haven't bee reading and I know to check in with them and ask this particular student questions about their reading.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2011

OK... that makes sense. For the kids who aren't reading... after you question them more closely, do they start reading? Or do they wax and wan throughout the year?

(This whole independent reading and checking for comprehension has been driving me nuts lately. I'm looking for more effective methods, and racking my brains...)

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Most will start reading, but some do wax and wan throughout the year. Usually when they know how disappointment I am, it helps. If that doesn't help, then I let parents know (sometimes this works). If not, I try a few other things to really get them reading.

I have had students tape themselves reading. I give them a little tape recorder and then I listen to this a few days to see if they are really reading.

I use rewards for these students who really need them (and I go big).

I have let students read with a partner (this helps to motivate them).

I let some students listen to part of a book on tape and then take the tape away. This works for others.