Eng Cset 3

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bananas1964, Jul 30, 2016.

1. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Jul 30, 2016

I just received my Eng Cset 3 test score back. My score was 210! Anyone have any advice that will help me get those extra 10 points that I need?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2016

What are you seeing on page 2 as regards diagnostics? (plus marks, letters or checkmarks)?

4. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

I have a "s." I guess that means support? I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong. I left outta there thinking, "I nailed that!" But the "S" says otherwise. What do you think I should do? Helllp!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2016

I had to take subtest 3 (and 4) twice. The second time around I answered with the voice of a teacher rather than a student. This changed the tone and, I think, improved the way I supported my answers.

6. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

I like that concept! Can you give a brief description of that tone Special-t?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2016

s for both responses, bananas1964, or just one? If just one, which?

The people who score CSET English constructed responses are English teachers and teachers of English teachers, and they're looking for you to demonstrate that you have a firm enough grasp on the principles, the content, and the terminology to join them as a fellow professional. That's your audience. Technical terms constitute part of the code by which professionals recognize other professionals in writing.

8. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

The S for support on subtest 3

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

For CSET English Subtest III, you wrote two responses, one per domain: one literary analysis (this typically features two selections from literature) and one analysis of nonliterary prose.

The chart of diagnostics is set up with subtests and domains (= major subject areas tested) listed vertically and question types given horizontally. Each constructed response on any CSET subtest gets its own diagnostics: the letters p, k, and s (and d for represent respects in which that constructed response can fall short in the view of the diagnostic-assigner, and checkmark means the response doesn't fall short in major ways (though it does NOT mean that the response was excellent).

On your diagnostic chart, you should see Subtest III and the names of the two domains on the far left; to the right of those, a column of greyed-out cells for multiple choice results, since Subtest III hasn't any; and to the right of the greyed-out multiple choice cells, a set of four columns (so this chart can accommodate all possible CSET subtests, including English IV) in which all the cells are greyed out except for two white cells: one white cell for the literary analysis and another for the nonliterary analysis. Below these there's a row in smaller type that gives overall results for the subtest, on a scale from + to ++++. You've told me that one of those two white cells contains an s. Tell me which, please - literary or nonliterary - and what's in the other cell.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2016

For example, if I were to say that one can make an inference from a line of text, I would also briefly describe what it means to make an inference - as if I were speaking to secondary students.
    Or if I were to ellaborate on alliteration in a poem, along with citing from the poem, I would also assume my reader needs a quick refresher on the topic of alliteration.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    bananas1964 likes this.
  11. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 4, 2016

Thanks Special-t! You rock!

Special-t likes this.
  12. bananas1964

bananas1964 Rookie

Aug 29, 2016

Hi Special-t. I just wanted to say thanks for your helpful advice. I passed part 3 of the Eng Cset! Thanks for being helpful!