Enforcing Simple Procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Oct 26, 2006.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Oct 26, 2006

Without sounding like a broken record, I need some more methods for enforcing certain procedures. With the new quarter starting next week, I feel it is a good time to review some of the policies/procedures in my classroom that are still not being followed.

Often times, I feel like I say the same things OVER and OVER again, so there has got to be a better way than just saying it to kids who aren't listening.

Some of the procedures I am talking about are:
    -Name/date on paper (and where to put it)
    -Which side to staple on
    -Writing in complete sentences
    -Lining up quietly
    Etc....

I just think there has got to be a creative way to get them to remember it...obviously writing it down and hearing it isn't enough!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2006

Just Brainstorming Here:

If you make your own forms, try highlighting the name area in a bright color.

Make a positive reinforcement bulliten board and showcase 5 papers a week that followed a good rule. (ie, highlight names area and put an arrow with smilie stickers on it or put an arrow on the staple area and have the arrow say "I am a star stapler" or whatever..make it up without sounding too stupid..hahaha).

Put a reminder label on the stapler that says "I know how to use a stapler..look and learn" and use smilie stickers to show humor.

Brainstorm and write rules for complete sentences. Then write these on a robot template. "I am a complete sentence robot." Then use heavy clear boxing tape and put it on their desk to the side of the desk. If this is too distracting, hang it in a strategic place for them to view their own work. You COULD just make a list of 5 common rules that the class came up with, print it on the robot and put it on their desk. This way it can be small and fit in the corner but they can still read it. THEN when they are having problems have a code like you putting a robot popcicle stick on their sticker (that is on the desk) and this is code for proofread, find and correct your incomplete sentence. Dont' say a word. Let them play detective.

By the way, I've learned that if I don't write NAME and DATE with a line on the top of the paper, the students will NOT write their name most of the time.