Energy Drinks Anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 11, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2011

Who regularly drinks Red Bull, Monster, Venom, 5-Hr Energy drink, etc.?

Definitely NOT me, not once & I'm glad I never got hooked on that stuff! I got through yrs of college & burning the midnight oil w/o having to drink that. Yes, I drink the grn tea frapuccino at Starbucks sometimes, but that's the only caffeinated drink I drink, which isn't good as it is. I've never in my life even taken a few sips of regular coffee. After 1 sip, I didn't like the taste.

Do those energy drinks taste like a dark soda like Coke or Pepsi?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 11, 2011

I had red bull...yuck. Don't like energy drinks or coffee.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Not ever.

I'll stick to soda, water, tea or iced tea.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 12, 2011

Never had one, never will. I get my caffeine the "old-fashioned" way--2 or 3 cups of coffee over the course of the morning. (My kids don't drink them either).

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 12, 2011

My husband does the 5 Hour Energy shots, and swears by them.

I'm a coffee girl. A green tea frap is pretty low caffeine. It only has 75mg. By comparison, a cup of iced coffee has 165mg and an espresso drink has 150mg. Sodas range between 23 and 71 mg. Energy drinks range between 70 and 160. Most of the energy in drinks like sodas and fraps comes from sugar. One frap has 67g of sugar, which is more than the recommended amount for the whole day!

I don't think caffeine is bad, but I try to drink it in moderation because if I drink too much it does bad things to my heart rate.

7. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

May 12, 2011

3 cups of coffee in the morning. Energy drinks are gross, and I hate that amped up feeling.

OTOH, I have recently started taking a Super B Complex in addition to my multivitamin every morning, and man does it make a difference! I feel genuinely energized all day, not caffeine energized but really good!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 12, 2011

Tried one by accident once. It was orange cream, and I didn't read the label. It made me sick. Really, really sick n

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 12, 2011

I have never had one - I would be afraid. I already get an over-caffeinated feeling "spell" that's caused by my thyroid where I get really jittery, heart palpitations, etc. I don't drink too much regular caffeine so I definitely don't need that. blech, I hate that feeling.

10. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 12, 2011

BLEGH. I drank a Red Bull once, and it was a very unenjoyable experience.

I'm an avid coffee and tea drinker, but I switch to decaf at about 3 p.m. I used to drink caffeinated beverages all day long, but over the Christmas holidays last year, I was up all night one night after drinking a cup of coffee before bed, and my heart was racing--it was like a panic attack. When it happened again, I decided to cut back on the caffeine. It was a good idea, but I still enjoy my regular coffee or tea in the mornings.

Also, as a southerner, I consume vast quantities of iced tea.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 12, 2011

I got a free can of an athletic energy drink at my last race. It's in the fridge-I'm saving it for when I really need it. There are times I would like an extra boost of energy, but I don't trust other drinks. I'm not sure why I would trust this one, but I'm willing to try it.

I did try the Starbucks double shot once, and it was AWFUL.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 12, 2011

Never tried them... my energy boost in college & working nights was Mountain Dew... Now everything caffeine free soda...no coffee either... I'll do tea.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 13, 2011

I drink energy drinks every day... I don't drink coffee at all (which actually has more caffeine.)

I usually have a diet red bull in the morning. Sometimes I have another one in the afternoon, if I have something going on at night. And yes, I have had the 5 hour energy. They taste AWFUL, but work.

14. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 14, 2011

I only drink coke, trying to cut back to one a day. Never have had the energy drinks.