Endorsements.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nikkiluvsu15, Aug 8, 2011.

1. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

When I joined here endorsements were mentioned to me - however, I was wondering what endorsements should I look into getting? The more the better... or what?

The University that I am getting my Elementary Education degree from includes ESOL and Reading endorsements. So I will already have those, yay!

I am also planning on getting a coaching endorsement from FSU (no matter how much that pains me.. :p).

Just interested in knowing - not something I need to know right now as I'm still working on getting my AA degree! :D

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

Out of curiosity, why are you getting an AA?

Does your el ed degree include early childhood and pre-k? If not, you should consider adding that.

4. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I have to get my AA (with Education Emphasis) in order to get into the University program :)

No, I think I will only be certified to teach K-6 with the option to be certified to teach up to 8th grade.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

For Florida, the ESOL endorsement is required for the primary language instructor... and I wouldn't be surprised if we see the reading endorsement become required, as well.

You may want to consider the gifted endorsement - it'll make you a bit more marketable. Especially if you plan on staying in the area I think you're in - very hard to find a job up there.

And there's - well, not a buzz, but a flutter - that an ESE endorsement may be created within the next 5 years... effectively ending the need for ESE inclusion teachers.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Let's start with the basics.... what do you want to teach? What subject or age group can you envision yourself working with for the next 30 or 40 years?

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I also like the idea of the gifted endorsement. I have known a few teachers who taught at the elementary level and who also had coaching endorsements and were able to coach middle or high school sports in the same district.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Aw, man. To teach gifted in Louisiana you have to have a Master's, six courses about gifted ed, and an internship. I wish I would have gotten gifted endorsement before I moved from Florida!

9. nikkiluvsu15

nikkiluvsu15 Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks everyone!! :D I'll have to look into the Gifted Endorsement - I know USF has that endorsement program, but I believe you already have to be a teacher.

chebrutta - you are probably thinking around the right area (if you are thinking Tally I'm east of them, but I'm west of J-ville!) and teaching jobs can be pretty hard to come by.

I'm probably going to try to stay in FL for a little while, but maybe not in this area. I've lived in this tiny town for my whole life and while I love it... I'm kind of getting tired of it. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to teach 1st-3rd grade, but I think after I do all my student teaching I'll have a better idea. This fall I'm hoping to go and volunteer at the local school just to get inside a classroom - hopefully I'll be able to!

That is what I'd like to do! My dad is a teacher and coach.. he is certified for 6th-12th grade and coaches varsity softball/football. I'd love to coach softball and I've got a great mentor ;) I'm going to volunteer to coach one of the recreation leagues at some point - it would be so much fun and great experience!

10. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I'm going back to start my reading endorsement in about three weeks. I plan on getting my gifted and possibly an ESOL endorsement too. The more, the merrier! :)