Ending the year right

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Cicero, May 5, 2013.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 5, 2013

Does anyone have some good tips for finishing up the year? I have been trying to make myself a check list of things to take care of in the next month so June won't be so stressful. My mentor recommended started a "end of the year" folder and printing out any forms, emails, etc that pertain to things the office needs from me.

We have carpeting so I don't have to worry about packing everything up to be able to deal with floor cleaning. I am thinking about going through and really organizing my bookshelves, because they have a ton of seemingly unrelated/old books that the teachers before me have collected.

3. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 30, 2013

Okay, so. This has a lot of views, but not responses. In my experience (which has only been of the last week so I don't know how applicable this will be!), I would add in a couple of tips...

1.Have flexible plans for any kind of schoolwide testing days. For instance, our first round of EOGs this morning took much longer to get started than planned. So my classes ended up only being around 15 minutes this afternoon. While I was proctoring I created a kind of mental list of possible Plan B solutions. I'll be better prepared tomorrow.

2. Need furniture? Ask around to your coworkers. I mentioned that I wanted another bookshelf and someone actually was getting rid of one in their room along with some little storage bins she keeps on it.

3. Organize your materials. When I got my room last summer, I was surprised by how the previous teacher seemed to have no rhyme or reason to how everything was organized. The two filing cabinets I had were just overflowing with random materials, craft supplies, and such. Throughout the year I tried my best to keep up with my organization, so now when I start next year I know what drawer to go to for anything I need. It doesn't help to keep great materials year after year if you can't find them!

4. Revisit your school supply list. Are there things that you listed this year that were underused? Are there things you found yourself having to either purchase or dig in the supply closet for? I found that my old list had a Latin dictionary as an optional but recommended item, but we never needed them. On the flip side, I found that most of my students didn't have a specific binder for our class and those students barely kept any of our notes/vocabulary sheets. So I took off the dictionary and added a binder.

4. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

May 30, 2013