Ending Punctuation

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by bondo, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 22, 2012

Does anybody have any good tricks or activities to help kids better learn and understand ending punctuation? My kids are still having a hard time and I was hoping to get some fresh ideas. TIA.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

Are you talking about using a question mark, period, or exclamation mark? Or are you asking about helping students know where to put ending marks?

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2012

Use a different color pencil or marker to make the mark obvious.

The difference between a question and a statement is sometimes hard for young kids. That may be what you are asking.

And bless you for working on it. My fourth graders can write an entire story with no periods. It's amazing, but I finally stopped it by doing a daily editing paragraph. I never thought it would really work, but when they are trying for perfect paragraphs and trying to gather ten stickers for perfect ones so that they don't have to do them anymore.....Well, it's taught them to pay attention.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Feb 23, 2012

mopar - yes, that's what I am looking for. Sorry, I should have clarified.

shouldbeasleep - I like the color pencil or marker idea. They love using them, so maybe that will help.

They are doing pretty well with periods, but sometimes they skip a sentence or two and question/exlamation marks are rare to find. I am trying to get this all nailed down early. I think it will help their reading as well, since they go hand-in-hand.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2012

I used to have gigantic magnetic punctuation marks but I forget where I got them. The kids loved to place them in sentences on the magnetic white board.

7. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 23, 2012

:yeahthat:
    I bet they would be fun and easy to make in different colors. I think somebody around here will come up with a great and simple idea:)

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2012

Lots of practice. I remind them every day whenever we are writing sentences when I have taught first grade. I have to say the most effective thing I every have done is teach 1/2 where the two grades both work on writing together, my second graders have trained my first graders to put end punctuation on sentences much more habitually than anything I ever did. Also using daily sentence correction practice has worked well also.