End of Year

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by jessicai67, May 27, 2008.

1. jessicai67

jessicai67 Rookie

May 27, 2008

Just wondering how everyone's end of year is going.

The high school in our town just sent home a letter telling the kids that they are not allowed to bring bookbags to school during the last week, which effectively kills any effort to actually complete any work. Of course, they have final exams all week, so all most of them need is a pencil.
    Of course that has bled down to us at the middle school :eek:
    The bus drivers told the kids that they would not let any one ride who had a book bag after today.:down: So of course, all our kids think the year is over.

We even have parents calling the main office to ask if we are taking attendance during the last week of school! :huh: OF COURSE WE ARE!! Sorry for yelling. Just get a little miffed about stuff like that from adults.

Anyway, just wanted to know if I was the only one.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 27, 2008

No, you're not alone. The kids have decided that they're done, possibly because they send home a calendar that let them know that we turned in grades last Friday. Wasn't that a great idea? :rolleyes:

I save my literature unit on epics & epic heroes until the end of the year because the kids actually seem to like those stories, and I can throw in several movies as well . . . and although we're not allowed to show movies for "entertainment" at all, we can show them for class purposes as long as they tie to curriculum and have an activity. So . . . I'm handing out the papers and pencils as they arrive, and I take them up when they're done. No, "I don't have a pencil" or "I don't have paper" in my room. I'm giving them all they need to work. Two classes have chosen to analyze Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone, one chose The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and one group chose Star Wars. The kids like the movies, they're learning about epic conventions, I'm doing some cleaning while they're watching . . . and best of all, I'm keeping my sanity. :cool: I did have four students--from two different classes--who told me that they weren't allowed to watch Harry Potter movies . . . which isn't all that uncommon in our area . . . because of the wizards and magic. Ummm . . . OK. I completely understand that, but they might have chosen to share that with me earlier since this is the SIXTH epic they've read (or watched) and they have ALL had wizards/witches and magic in them. Everyone picks on poor old Harry Potter. :p

Today one asked me if he had to come to school tomorrow since it's field day. Ummm . . . yes. Well, how about Friday since it's the last day? Ummm . . . YES!!! :|

4. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 27, 2008

I'm in elementary and our kids can't bring book bags the last three days (next week). As far as academics that week :toofunny:!

I'm sending home all workbooks, supplies, projects, etc. this week. To top it off, our end of year party is this Thursday (not my idea) :eek: so what do they expect from us the last 3 days? I'm going to have a "curl up and read" day where they can bring sleeping bags, pillows, blankets and just read, read, read! I'm sure I'll show a movie one day :whistle: while I pack/clean! And who knows for the rest of the time what I'll come up with! :p

5. MrL

MrL Companion

May 27, 2008

Same thing for me and middle school. The AP came on to suggest a folder. Let's see how many follow that example.

6. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

May 27, 2008

O.K. So, I'm wondering... Why no backpacks? We're already out and most of my kids didn't bring backpacks for the last 2 days just because I told them there wouldn't be anything to take home. There weren't any suggestions from admin, though. Were they worried that someone would bring contraband or steal? Just curious.

7. DocHistory11

DocHistory11 Rookie

May 27, 2008

We have final exam hell. They overbooked classrooms, mismanaged desks, and scheduling issues with teachers. I've been assigned to proctor the AP World final from 8:45 - 10:45 and the English 9 final from 9:45 - 11:45 on the same day. Not to mention what will happen with students that are both in WHAP and English 9.

Let's hope a week is enough time to fix this!

8. MrL

MrL Companion

May 27, 2008

Unless you're the kind of Doctor with a TARDIS, you need help! Does this stuff always happen?

9. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

May 27, 2008

Locker clean out is on 5/30 so they have to bring books all week. Next week is three days of finals then it's over until next year...

10. jessicai67

jessicai67 Rookie

May 28, 2008

Well, the high school was worried that someone would bring eggs and egg the teachers cars like they did a couple of years ago. Mostly it's to keep them from bringing things they shouldn't. I think they are still supposed to bring a notebook and pencil though, but most of them don't.

I just found out though that our students will stop bringing bookbags on Friday, and we have school until next Wednesday. So THREE DAYS WITH NOTHING!!! And we're not allowed to show movies even if they fit in with our curriculum. And someone told the students that grades are due tomorrow. I could kill them:|(not really). But :down: :down: :down: . Anyway, good luck to all of you.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 5, 2008

:eek:This has been a really crazy week. We had to finish report cards with almost no prep time given this week and also finish with preparations for graduation. Today, students who are not graduating were notified and some are in shock as if they didn't have any clue that this was going to happen when all year they had low grades.

To top it all, we found out before we left today that only two teachers (I'm one of them) will be running the graduation practice tomorrow with 80 students and no help. There is no way we can do this with the group of students we have! It's just way too much to handle all like keeping track of caps and gowns, diploma covers, grades, folders, and then handle a class of students.