End of year question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by happy2teach, May 17, 2009.

1. happy2teach

happy2teach Rookie

May 17, 2009

How was your class this year? What is one thing you learned about your class this year?

3. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 17, 2009

My classes were the same as they always are every year. What did I learn? That they can't build fast-food restaurants fast enough to provide jobs for these kids that care about nothing and place no value on education.

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 17, 2009

Ouch!

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 17, 2009

Angry Al-well said.
    The one thing I learned this year from my class-I can survive.
    They didn't break me!! (worst class in 15 years-I teach 5th grade)

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 17, 2009

I need to be more consistent. A lot of kids are not intrinsically motivated these days so I need to provide them with exact reasons why the information I provide them with is important. I need to keep a good routine and rotation of games (ie. interventions).

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

I had some incredible kids this year. Through all my ups and downs, they were unfailingly kind.

But there are still one or two I couldn't reach. I spoke to one of the guidance counselors Friday to give him a heads up. Derrick is going to fail my class, and fail it miserably. His mom is undergoing radiation treatments, ironically enough, for breast cancer. But even that, and the knowledge that I went through the same thing in February, isn't enough to get Derrick to give me any effort or to make any sort of a connection.

I like him and he's bright enough, but he's going to need a major miracle to pull this off.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 17, 2009

Three years ago I had the class from h-e-c-k. Last year, I had a wonderful class. I started this year waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it turned out I have the best class I've ever had -- EVER! Bright, motivated, helpful, eager to learn, willing to try, absolutely excited at the thought of learning something new.

I has been an amazing year.

9. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 17, 2009

I had an incredible class this year too.

They've taught me what third grade is supposed to be like. I've always had a class disproportionately full of emergent students. This year, most of my class is proficient or nearing proficient, the way it should be in a well-balanced classroom.

I think I'm going to cry on Friday when they go!! If I didn't like my grade level so much, I'd go to 4th grade with them!

10. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 17, 2009

Knitter63 - I'm really sorry to hear that. It's one thing for me to see it year-in and year-out at the high school level. It's quite another thing for YOU to see it at the fifth-grade level.

The big plus, as you said, was that you learned something about yourself, which is never trivial. (And good for you, by the way!)

Be good to yourself this summer. Do LOTS of things for YOU.

(And as your doctor, I say you should fill this prescription as often as needed! LOL!!!)

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I learned that I really do want to go back to the classroom, and that I need to have balance within my life and within my place at the school.

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 18, 2009

I learned how nice it is to finally "repeat teaching" something. This is my third year, my first year I taught history, last year I taught math, and this year I taught math. This is the first year that I haven't felt like a "first year teacher." This was my first year to repeat teaching a subject and I LOVED it because I could actually improve stuff from last year and make notes on what to improve for next year.

The kids were okay--not a super group, not a bad group. Just okay. An overall pretty good year.

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 18, 2009

I have a rough, hyper class this year. I learned that individually, they are each fantastic and I love them. All together, they are a major challenge. I worry about some of them for next year because some are quite "needy" and others I'm afraid they won't be able to keep up. I have a few out in LaLa Land kids.

14. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 18, 2009

Nice :thumb:

15. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 18, 2009

I learned that I can survive my first year of teaching, with what everyone in the district said was the most difficult class they've ever taught (including people who'd been teaching there for 20 years). AND I still want to do it again next year! :)

16. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 18, 2009

I learned that even though they are in college they can still act like they are 12 years old. Had my worst class ever last fall (I really don't like teaching the general education math class...luckily I don't do it that often).

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

This year was a great year for me as I had my best class, both academically and behaviorally. I have learned that it is possible to reach my students, even though it is a large class. I had 23-24 students all year which I was nervous about over the summer. I am reminded continuously that collaboration is very important for a program to be successful. I have also been blessed with two wonderful aides; the first one became ill and had to take a leave.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 18, 2009

Great group of kids, one of the best years I've had in my career. Don't get me wrong, I had some little knot-heads, but I learned to love them anyway.

19. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

I had a great year (still a month and some days to go).....They were a needy class (I see this more and more each year and I think it is due to parents doing everything for them) but mostly kind and eager to learn!

20. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 18, 2009

I had some good class periods, and some bad ones. One of my classes was a disaster because there were far too many kids that simply didn't care. 6 of my "F" grades are in that room alone. Yikes.

Otherwise, things were okay. In one class they've only recently gotten worse because I was too friendly with them over the course of the year, and am paying for it dearly now. But, you live and learn I suppose....

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

They can't write interesting informational or persuasive essays, but they can knock a homerun every time with narrative stories. I'll have to work on that next year.

22. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

May 18, 2009

I had a great group of kids this year, and will have many of them next year (resource room teacher). Unfortunately, I learned how destructive poor leadership can be to a school. I spent much of the year wondering, "I have great kids, great parents, and colleagues that I work well with. Why do I not want to go to work?"

We spent much of the last two years wondering what the expectations/procedures were, and what kind of mood our principal might be in (if she was in at all), as that would determine how the day would be.

So, I am reeling from that, but look forward to a new year with a new principal! Planning time, co-workers who are not harrassed and near tears constantly, safety procedures in place.......ah.

23. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 19, 2009

Wow..I learned that every once in a while you get a group of students who are great discipline wise...but are the laziest group as far as getting work done. I realized that I can effectively teach the material and it will get better each year. I learned to NEVER do overnight field trips again.
    I realized I LOVE MY JOB! No really I Do!

24. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

May 19, 2009

I spent the year wondering the same thing, except the problem at my school wasn't leadership, it was a pervasive negativity towards my students from a couple of employees I worked closely with on a daily basis. It was exhausting and I've dreaded going to work almost daily. I don't understand how someone's interaction with a student can be 90% negativity -- i.e., "What do you think you're doing?" "You know how to do that, so don't ask for help!" "Stop fooling around!" "Because I said so!" "Go sit down now and stop asking questions!" And then they wonder why kids act out and why nobody uses their manners.

But I learned that I CAN be positive even when others aren't, and that even if my colleagues don't notice, my students do.

What I didn't learn is whether teaching is for me. Due to family circumstances, I'm going to be returning to my home state next year. I don't know yet what kind of job I'll seek. Definitely one with kids with autism, but I don't know if I want to work in a public school setting anymore. I hate that so much is piled on to one teacher that I just don't get nearly enough time to spend with my students to really make a difference. I might go back to doing home therapy. One kid at a time, and using data-driven strategies with none of the distractions or politics.

Because, the thing is, I never want to get to a point where I'm acting so negatively at work. And I'm afraid if I stay in my current situation, I will become a very negative person.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

Sadly, I learned not to trust my students. I have had a very difficult bunch this year and every day it's a new drama. Can't talk about everything or I might be identified. Mostly they are personable kids who make really bad choices. There are some great kids who I'll miss though.

26. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

May 20, 2009

I learned that I NEVER, EVER want to teach repeater classes again, I can survive, and how classes can be INCREDIBLY different. Two of my classes were repeaters and they were AWFUL, but the other class (non-repeaters) was absolutely WONDERFUL. Out of the repeaters, 14 flunked again which made me feel like maybe I was at fault, until I noticed that I only had 1 from the other class fail. (And the other repeater teacher had just as many fail). The repeaters were horrible behavior-wise, but as my husband points out, the ONLY way it can be worse was if my 9th graders started literally killing each other.

27. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 20, 2009

Oh, Angry Al, you make me laugh!!:lol:
    I actually bid on another position yesterday, and then turned it down. I must give this school and the upcoming 5th graders a chance. If I have a repeat year, I will leave for sure.
    My summer is starting this weekend (in my mind). Spending the day fishing on Sat, BBQing on Sunday,and planting my garden on Monday. :thumb:
    Oh, and I have the Twilight series to read on my backyard swing...
    Have a great summer, Al!:)

28. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 21, 2009

I have a WONDERFUL class this year. I am still afraid to say it too loudly. Up until the last week or so (we only have a week left), they liked each other, were kind to each other, and motivated each other. They were all well-behaved and I only had 2 that annoyed me. That is probably a record. We have all different kinds of zone changes for next year, so I am worried. We have had such a horrid year with our school admin, county policy makers, budget concerns, state problems, that I am not sure I could have managed without such a nice class. Lots of stress, but not from the children.

29. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 21, 2009

I had wonderful students this year. My psychology students were well engaged, and I had a particularly talented group of music students!

30. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

I loved my class this year. I learned that classes should have evenly matched genders (instead of 14 boys vs. 6 girls like I had). I learned that boys will suprise you in so so many ways!!!

31. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

May 24, 2009

I learned that I need to be more organized, pronto!
    I will be able to teach some things so much better next year, knowing what I know now...

32. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 25, 2009

My class was a horrible this year. I'm sure it could have been worse. I was unloaded on (6 students with IEPs (academic and social/behavior disabilities) in my room--11 students with IEPs in all of the 6 third grade classes). I had many students with strong personalities. This led to A LOT of bickering, arguing, and being rude to one another. Many in my room would blatantly talk back to me and expect me to do things on their schedule. The mix in my room was just horrible. Needless to say I'm very excited that the year is over.

I learned that I need a capable school counselor to come in and do character ed. (something I didn't have this year), and that I need to incorporate more character ed. into my classroom. And I also learned to let things go...

33. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 25, 2009

I learned that the one or two kids who drive you nuts the first month of school will worm their way into your heart, for sure! The ones who tried their very best every day are already there, in my heart, and the ones who just coasted may need more differentiation next year. The ones who sloughed off will now pay the price with Cs instead of Bs, and parents who WILL make them work on their summer packets!!

I also learned that just to TEACH and avoid the drama of other "professionals" is truly a blessing -we are the grown ups there to educate others...not to whine and complain and find fault. Surround yourself w/ those who feed your creativity and sense of self-worth. The others aren't worth the time or energy!

On this forum I learned about Power Teaching, and I love it - as do my students. I want to learn more! Thanks guys, and have a great break!

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 25, 2009

awww.....