End of Year Gifts

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by katenar, May 26, 2008.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 26, 2008

Are any of you giving your class end of year gifts? I was thinking of doing a survival kit for my kids for the 5th grade but haven't really decided yet.

Any other ideas? :confused: I don't want to break the bank but I'd like something cute. Thanks. :help:

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

May 28, 2008

Hi there, katenar.

I've been mulling over the same thought. It's hard with gifts at this age because some of the kids will love the cute stuff and treasure it for at least a little while and others will toss it in the trash on their way out the door.

What are your ideas for a survival kit? I'd love to hear them. Sounds really fun.

My idea so far is making them each a certificate/award with a special label for each student..."Awesome Artist," "Wonderful Writer".... This depends, of course, on each one's special talents. Then have a little ceremony on the last day of school.

Last year I just copied a class photo onto cardstock and wrote a special little note for each student.

I like your idea better, though. Sounds way more fun, especially if you went through and presented each item with a great "flourish" and explanation. You could really get into it! Anyone else?

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

May 28, 2008

:):thanks: for replying glitterfish. I found a list of "survival kit" items on another website. This is what they had:

A Student Survival Kit
    To make survival kits for your students, place the items described below in brown lunch bags and include this handout:

"The items in this bag have special meaning:
    * The cotton ball is to remind you that this room is full of kind words and warm feelings.
    * The chocolate kiss is to comfort you when you are feeling sad.
    * The tissue is to remind you to help dry someone's tears.
    * The sticker is to remind you that we all stick together and help each other.
    * The star is to remind you to shine and always try your best.
    * The gold thread is to remind you that friendship ties our hearts together.
    * The rubber band is to remind you to hug someone.
    * The penny is to remind you that you are valuable and special.
    * The toothpick is to remind you to "pick out" the good qualities in your classmates.
    * The bandage is to heal hurt feelings in your friends and in yourself.
    * The eraser is to remind you that we all make mistakes, and that is okay.
    * The Life Savers are to remind you that you can come to me if you need someone to talk to.

I may add or take away some things as I see fit. Every year I also have the students make a special memory book and everyone wins some type of award. I'm thinking of perhaps making a CD with all the pictures that I've taken of them over the year and putting it to music. That's all I have right now.....if I think of more I'll post it. :2cents:

Thanks.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2008

My gift last year was to write a very decent letter into each yearbook. This took hours, but was well worth it. All the students read them and really enjoyed them. I put my e-mail address and phone number, too, and still get e-mails/calls from students (mostly girls at their sleep overs). I know that could be dangerous for some teachers, but elementary students are very good about not pranking my cell. I tell them the number and e-mail address will never, ever change and they can contact me when their 40 if they'd like. Anyhow, free and only a little time consuming.

6. MsG

MsG Companion

May 28, 2008

I love the survival kit idea! I'm going to definitely use it next year. Most of those items can be found at the dollar store. Much cheaper than what I usually do!

I also always burn a cd for the kids/parents of every picture I took during the year. I have never put it with music though, just a data cd. Great idea though!

7. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

May 28, 2008

Ooh, fun ideas everyone. Sounds like a lot of you really get into these going away gifts! Thanks for the ideas.

I'm going to have a slideshow during the last week of school that includes all of the pics I've took throughout the year. We'll watch it and eat some snacks. I thought about giving out a picture cd, but I think I will do the slideshow instead so we can laugh and smile over the pics together. (Maybe I'll do both!)

8. allyd

allyd Rookie

May 30, 2008

I give each child a DVD of the pics to music and we watch it together on the last day. I also give them each a book from Scholastic. I try to order a class set of 95 cent books, using points. We are moving to a new school this year and there is some anxiety. I may try the survival kits...Cute idea!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

I was thinking about this thread, and I know this won't work this year, but next year I'm doing memory quilts with my students. I have fabric crayons and a HUGE stack of white paper squares. After each milestone (field day, parties, field trips, their birthday, etc.), they color a square. I take it home, iron it onto a white square of fabric, and sew it to the other squares. I love making simple block quilts, and it's super easy to keep going for each child when you're only sewing one square on at a time (30 squares every week or so), and at the end of the year, you just sew some batting and a back on it and you have a really cool memory quilt. I'm only going to have 14-16 students next year, so it will be even easier. They won't know that's why they color the squares, so it will be huge surprise.

I'm also going to keep a scrapbook going using free scrapbook software from Creative Memories. You just plug the pictures in, write a blip about the activity and you're done. I'm going to see if I can get a copy place to sponsor the printing in color. So these will be gifts next year (I don't have a class this year).

Free software from Creative Memories: http://www.mycmsite.com/sites/cfrey...productId=&itemSku=&act=&selectedCategory=266

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

I didn't do an end of year gift. I got my students juice boxes and 100 calorie packs to snack on. They liked it. :)

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

That's a great idea!