End of year gifts

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by educatingme, May 11, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

May 11, 2007

Do you give your kids End of Year gifts?

Do you get them FROM the kids?

What do you get/give?

If you have an assistant, does he/she do anything special for you?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2007

I'm secondary math.

My kids take a Comprehensive Exam at the end of the year. Gifts are the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 11, 2007

One year I gave my students journals and a pencil so they could keep a summer journal. I think I may do the same a long with a packet of work so they can review over the summer.

My assistant and I usually give each other something small on our birthdays. We make cupcakes to share with the class and a card and such. Nothing at the end of the year.

5. srh

srh Devotee

May 11, 2007

Okay, a disclaimer from the start: I teach Kindergarten. In a public charter school with more upper-middleclass income students than low income. Highest API in our district. Not really fair to compare. But I'll share anyway....

Yes. On all counts. I give typical Kinder-type gifts like books or workbooks, pencils, erasers, stickers, etc. This year we have a ton of freebie Scholastic books, so that's at least part of what they'll receive from me. I also do a gift for my regular parent helpers--last year I did cups and saucers and filled them with tea bags and mints. Well, except for the dad. He got a fisherman's mug with lures and bait tucked in!

My students have given me everything from $50 Chevron gift cards to Bed, Bath, Beyond products to simple homemade cards or candy. I am sometimes overwhelmed with gifts, which come throughout the year, for several occasions. It is mostly Kinder and first-grade teachers who receive these kinds of gifts--they slow down as the grade level rises. I enjoy the simple things, and I sometimes do feel embarrassed, but some people (who can afford it, for sure) just do everything in a really BIG way. I always try to do my "thanks" in private so that children who do not bring things are not made to feel they did something wrong. That's the hard part.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

I always give my kids a book that is on their level, or a little above. I try to get as many books into their hands throughout the year as I can afford.
    This year I am giving my kids:
    *Book (on their reading level or a little above)
    *Autograph book (found really neat ones on Scholastic)
    *pencil (summer themed)
    *eraser (matches)
    *Basic Skills packet (to work on over the summer-not required)
    I usually include handouts from educational events that are happening in our area through the summer (from library, parks & recreation, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, local museum, etc...).

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

Two years ago (my 1st year teaching) a student had flowers and balloons sent to me on the last day of school. The note said that I was her best teacher, and had helped her more than any others had. She was absent that day, so I made sure I called her to tell her thank you.

Usually, you get the same type of gifts you get for Christmas if you get any.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 12, 2007

I also give something to my kids at the end of the year. Sometimes a Scholastic book if I have enough points, along with some small gift.

I often get gifts from at least some of the kids, but what I appreciate most are the notes from parents who express their appreciation.

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

I give each kid a summer fun packet that includes a book, paintbrush (with water paint directions) playdough, and a beach ball.

My classes usually pitch in and give me one larger gift from each class.
    Kim

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 12, 2007

My oldest is in Kindergarten this year, and I am giving her teacher a set of personalized stationery that I ordered and I am giving the aide a gift card to a boutique in town that I know she shops at (I had her daughter in my LA class last year). For preschool, we painted flowerpots and planted flowers for her teachers one year, and the next we gave Barnes & Noble gift cards because both the teacher and the assistant were avid readers. Being a seventh grade teacher, I don't often receive end of the year gifts. I love it when parents or kids write me notes, though.

11. srh

srh Devotee

May 12, 2007

Mrs. R, you're VERY thoughtful. I like to do gifts that are meaningful to the individual as well...sometimes it's hard though!! One of my favorite parent helpers this year is male, and he's an ER nurse/educator. I really don't have a clue about what to do for him since I don't know much about his personal time. Last year, the dad I had was a fisherman--easy and fun! Any ideas for guys?? (Oh, and inexpensive, since I'm doing this for about 8 parent helpers.) Thanks!

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 13, 2007

I got TONS of end-of-year gifts last year. FWIW, my children are 0-3, so I work as much with the families as with the children, and I do get pretty close with them, since I see them twice a day, every day, for up to 20 minutes at a time. Most of my families are pretty well-off. I got: gift cards, soaps & lotions, flowers, lots of cards, chocolates, etc. My favorites are the cards... I can read them again & again.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 13, 2007

For parent helper gifts, I am doing the same thing I did for my own kids' grandmothers this year for Mother's Day. Take a half sheet of paper, folded like a hamburger. Use a fancy, fun font to type, "We love Mr. X!" at the top. Have the kids either sign their names around the edge, draw a face that represents them, or stamp a thumbprint that they can then add features and make look like a face. If you choose for the kids to write their names or draw their faces, you may have to shrink them down on the copier and cut and paste them to fit around the border of the half-sheet. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Take them to Kinko's and they'll bind them into a pad of colored or white paper, 100 sheets is $7 or so, 50 sheets is $4 or so.

They look really, really cute when they are done!
    Kim

14. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

May 13, 2007

These are great ideas, and I want to do something for my kids; however, I have 80 students total (4 rotations). How do I afford something for them all? Should I just do my homeroom? This is my first year teaching and I want to do something. I like the journal/pencil idea! My students are typically very low-socioeconomic and do not buy gifts for teachers. They are VERY thrilled with anything they get!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 13, 2007

Oh, my kids are also getting a copy of a poetry book that we created as a class. I've got them bound and ready to go.

16. Dntrnw/scissors

Dntrnw/scissors Rookie

May 13, 2007

I give my students BOOKS! I get one on the student's level and one slightly above.

17. srh

srh Devotee

May 13, 2007

I just figured out my parent helper gifts for this year. I was in Dollar Tree shopping for a harmonica...well, that's another story.

Anyway, they have these really cute metal "beach chairs" (at least that's what they look like to me. They have a place on the back of the chair (the part you would lean against) for a small photo. Between now and the last week of school, I will slyly get a pic of each parent helper working with a group--preferably the one his/her child or grandchild is in. Wah-la! Instant great gift. Oh, and I bought paint pens at Christmas, so I'll sign and date them that way. They're colorful--I bought pink, blue, and yellow. Woo-hoo, Dollar Tree!!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 13, 2007

I have a picture of each child at the beginning of the year. I will take one 3 days before school is out. I have a really neat "picture frame" worksheet that we will complete with both pictures.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 13, 2007

I have thought about doing something similar with my own children but could never figure out how I was going to bind the paper! I wanted them to do some artwork and then scan it into the computer and have the computer turn it into a watermark with their name too. Then print a bunch and turn them into notepads.

20. Mathadore

Mathadore Rookie

May 13, 2007

Same for me

21. srh

srh Devotee

May 13, 2007

Besides a student gift and parent helper gifts, we also do a major "yearbook" for each child. I don't even want to admit how many after-school hours I worked last year on them. But they are comprehensive--from first day pics with family to an art project each month to an awards page (specific to the student) and more. It's on 90 lb paper, 17 inches long, I think. Very cool, with lots of photos and student work. I SO wish my kids had had teacher who did this, at least for the all-important Kindergarten year. It's so much work, but I felt so proud wrapping them up for parents last year!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 13, 2007

We do "me" books and this is my teacher's first year alone (well with an aide) so she is behind. I can see her stressing out and frankly I don't have the kind of time to pull her out of this big of a jam at this time of the year on top of field trips and many other things we have going on. It is long. I did recommend some shorter projects she could include into it instead of of stressing everyone out, including the kids trying to get it all done. Personally I don't think I'm doing this kind of project when I have a class, at least the first few years, because it is too time intensive. You are a special brand of teacher!

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 13, 2007

I teach 3 classes and have 60 kids, what I'm doing for my science classes is giving them a set of stickers (I got them at science convention) and a sucker with a note with a cute poem on it. (I'm still working on the poem.) My homeroom with get more. I have gifts that I have collected through the year at clearance sales and so forth. They are getting a goodie bag with several small gifts (flip flop note pad, pencil, etc). I go to the dollar tree and buy summer gifts (kites, footballs, etc) and we play end of the year bingo so that they can pick the one they want. (If we run out of time and can't play bingo I just pull and they go in that order.)
    I usually get a few small gifts, but I teach in a rural school with a high free/reduced lunch ratio (71% last I knew). I get some homemade goodies and cards mostly.

24. srh

srh Devotee

May 13, 2007

Thanks! But to be honest, I'm sure I would have skipped it last year if I could have.....it's been a "Kinder tradition" at our school, and I had two other K teachers doing it. I had no choice!! It was my first year and I certainly couldn't start out being a wimp! :-D I was literally at school until 11 pm the two nights before the last day of school. I am crazy, I know. I've GOT to work on this perfectionist thing too!! ;)

25. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 16, 2007

I get paid dirt and have 50 students (2 classes). What should I do, cheap and fast? I'm thinking a sheet of stickers and a candy apiece. Is that too stingy? (3rd grade)

Christy -- what kind of note/poem? I want to do that, but no idea what to write.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 16, 2007

I'm still working the poem out. I keep thinking along the lines of a blow pop and a note saying that they make me bubble over with happiness, or something like that.