End of year gifts

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by sdj284, Jan 5, 2007.

1. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

Do you give your student or parents end of year gifts? Not sure what I will do for the kids but I am going to give my parents a power point cd with photos and music. I just put photos on as we do things-it looks so cool. I can't wait to give them out!:angel:

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2007

The cd sounds awesome! I usually put together some sort of scrapbook throughout the year that shows photos, drawings and pieces of writing.

As far as for the kiddos, how about summer reading packet or something? A book, bookmark, and throw in something fun like a waterbottle or bottle of bubbles?

4. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Jan 5, 2007

One year I gave the kids a beach pail, small bottle of water, sunglasses, and a book. I bought the beach pail and sunglasses at the dollar store.

5. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

G'day.

I gave the kids a self-made Christmas card featuring a few Christmas related comic strips from my website that they've been reading the printed versions of in the classroom all year.

That and two candy canes because lollies will win you lots of votes from nine and ten year olds. :)

Other than that, I don't generally give out gifts to all the kids. One or two kids might get something meaningful to them, but that's it.

Cheers.

6. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Jan 5, 2007

No, in 16 years of teaching I've never even considered giving an end of year gift to my students. (I do give each a "Summer Practice Book" of optional work...but I hardly consider that a gift). By the last day...I can't wait to get them out of my room!!

I do give my room mother a gift...usually a beach bag & inside it I put a beach towel & some other pool-related items.

7. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

Every year I give my kids a ziploc bag with a bouncy ball, a plastic top, a stamped postcard addressed to me and a decorative pencil along with this note:

Hope your summer is tops! Have a ball, and don't forget to write!

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 5, 2007

I have also given my students beach balls and I write, 'We had a "Ball" in First Grade.' Then I let them sign each others beachballs with sharpies. Our last day of school ends at 10:30 (weird) so it is the perfect activity for the last day of school.

9. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

I usually give playdough and a few cookie cutters. They also love that -not sure if I will do that this year or not. Tbelle1035 I really like your bags with a postcard.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

I only had a few kids last year in my preK special ed. class, but we burned them a CD of their favorite songs from the previous year. We also had the kids make "memory shirts" that we put every kid's name on. The parents loved both.

Every month, we took a picture of each kid and put it inside a picture frame they decorated each month...

Sept. - apple, Oct. -pumpkin, Nov.- turkey, Dec.- gift box, Jan. - snowflake, Feb. - heart, Mar. - shamrock, Apr- raindrop, May- flower.

We did it like a scrapbook and put each frame on colored paper and bound up the book. For my kids, we added photos we'd taken throughout the year at the end. The parents LOVED these books! :)

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 6, 2007

Yes, I have a page of ideas for the end of the year at the following link: End of Year ideas I would LOVE to do the ppt CD thing but I work in a very low income school and none of my parents have computers:(

12. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

Thanks vannapk and your site is great--someday I'll make one!

13. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jan 6, 2007

Vannapk I love the site and have put it on my "favorites" list for the end of the year! Thanks!

14. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

May 25, 2007

I made my dvd for the parents today. It is so cute. I didn't do power point as not everyone has that. I put it on dvd and I love it. I just need to do this for my family......;)