End of year field day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

My school has a field day at the end of the year. There are games set up all around outside. The classes rotate in 15-minute increments to certain games. My class, for example, will receive a schedule. From 10-10:15 we might be at game #2, then rotate to game #11, etc.

I was really surprised last year when I found how how field day was organized. When I was in elementary school we had field day, and we could go anywhere we wanted. When I worked in an after-school program at a private school, they let all of the kids (PK-5) go all around the building to whichever activities they wanted, as well. The teachers walked around and supervised.

I would LOVE if my school would just let the kids go! It's frustrating staying in 1 area for 15 minutes because many of the kids lose interest in the activity (or they were never interested in the first place!). If your school has field day, how does it work?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

Ours is organized like a real high school track meet, and the kids sign up prior to the day for which events they want to be in. We do the field events, then the running events. It's a tradition from waaaay back, I don't see ours changing any time soon.

I do remember when the Sydney Olympics were going on, we did an Olympic theme. Every class chose a color, we got T-shirts, had to do research on a specific country, and for every event we got class points and medals. Everyone thought that was really fun, but for some reason we have never done it again.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

Similar to yours, although it's like 10 minutes per, then the grades do a tug o war versus each other (Like two 2nd grade classes vs. the other 2 2nd grade classes)

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

We meet at different activities on a schedule and compete against the other grades. For the most part, it works well and the kids are interested because it is organized with different activities at each station. Also, ours is in the fall because it is too hot at the end of school!

Station 1 - relays - different relays including tossing a hula hoop onto a target, filling a bucket with pumpkins, etc...
    Station 2 - snack and water then play on the playground
    Station 3 - tug of war
    Break for lunch/rr
    carnival - for this part they just run around to whichever they want to do - includes 5 different inflatables (bounce house, slide, etc...), hay ride, face painting

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2010

My son's school on Saturdays (which is the only field day I get to attend) is highly organized, with different events at different times. It's almost a show as much as it is a sports day. Scores are tallied for red and white teams, and one team is eventually declared the overall winner (so there are also a lot of team and collaborative events). Different classes/groups get selected for different events.

Here's one example of an event -- the "monkey taxi race".

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 22, 2010

The students were able to go where ever they wanted to at my last school -- all 950 of them. The events were run by parent volunteers and the PE department. The students had a piece of paper with the list of events printed on them and the students were sent on their way. The only event we did as a class was tug-of-war but we did it the morning before field day started. It ran unbelievably well! The teachers, along with parent volunteers roamed the field during the day.

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

Like yours. We do 10 minute stations, everyone stays interested and involved!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2010

We put our kids into teams. Each team has children from grades k-3. The teachers put teams together that are fairly balanced with abilities. Each team rotates though different events. We give out ribbons for winning teams and individual winners. Each teacher or parent helper takes a station and works at it for the event.

There are only two events where the children are grouped by grades and compete individually. We start the field day with a balloon pop in which each child has a balloon tied around their ankle. The goal to be the last one remaining with balloon still intact. Our other event that is by grade is our softball throw.

I like the idea of teams because it gets the younger children and older children to work together as a TEAM. It is wonderful to hear the older ones cheer on the youngest team mates, and vice versa.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2010

Ours is run like yours with stations we rotate through. The kids have a blast. Maybe the types of stations make a difference? We have fun games like tossing a rubber pig into a wading pool.

Sometimes the weather is miserable - either super hot or rainy. I don't feel obligated to go to all the stations and will sometimes skip some and take a break indoors if my class seems to need a break.

11. iteachPE

iteachPE New Member

Mar 23, 2010

I'm the only PE teacher at our school of 500+ and I organize the field day each year. I have always had stations where the classes complete teamwork-oriented games and activities (much like survivor). They rotate through about every 15 or 20 minutes and complete 10 stations during the day. I have thought about having a more "free" day where students can go where they want, but really worry about supervision. I don't want kids just standing around or goofing off because they aren't being officially supervised by their classroom teacher. I also wonder how stations work when students are constantly arriving to them at random times. Can anyone clear this up for me? I know in gradeschool we had a track and field day ran much like a trackmeet. It was great, but now that I'm the one organizing it, I have sooo many worries and concerns!

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 23, 2010

When I was in grae school, we signed up for individual events within our classes... then the people from each class competed against other classes. Everyone had to take part in at least one event. I guess you'd say "track meet" format. 50-yd-dash, shoes race, the one where you pop balloons by sitting on them, dizzy bat, long jump, are the ones I remember... and classes competed against each other in tug of war.

I'm not very athletic, so I never enjoyed field day very much, probably because i never did very well. Although I don't have anything against competition, I like that most of teh schools I've been at do "looser" events and everyone can be successful.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 23, 2010

KinderKids, we did something like that at camp for a few years. My church runs a camp for a week in the summer, 2nd-8th graders (with high school, college, and adults as counselors with varying degrees of authority). Last year, we put the jr. high kids in charge of running the stations, but we generally mix teh ages. It's really fun to see the kids working together with kids from different grade levels. It also invokes some strategy :)

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, this isn't like a "track and field" day. It's more of an end of the year fun day. At one school they called it a "carnival."

15. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

stations

we do the 10 minute stations and the kids have a great time. I do not know how you would do an "open" event and keep it safe and organized, unless you had tons of volunteers and teachers helping.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

We held an end of the year field day last year. We (a few teachers) got several stations ready. The kids went around in classes to each station for a set amount of time. We're looking to change ours also-because we had too long at some stations and the kids got bored.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

I do field day at my two schools and then host a county field day the week after (right before spring break, tomorrow in fact).
    I have about 10 events and kids can sign up for any five. I have a mixture of field events and running events. I have categories of 8-9 boys, 8-9 girls, 10-11 boys and 10-11 girls.
    That takes up my grades 2-5. For k-1 I do 3-4 fun events during the day. My 2nd-5th earn ribbons for 1s 2nd or 3rd place.
    If they get a first or second they qualify to go to the County Field Day. I have done it for almost 20 years and it goes like clockwork. My teachers help me run the school field day and my fellow PE teachers help me run the county meet. It is a big deal for our kids.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2010

When I did track & field, subbed during the day & taught it was all done in different activities. Everyone in the class does it. It usually is about 10-15 mins. Then they all rotate. It pretty much is once you get done you go to your next activity! But they have changed it lower el either in the morning or afternoon & upper is opposite, so it does help it move a little quicker.

The school also uses different themes & each class gets to be part of it. Like Disney you pick a movie or character, a country. All the classes usually make shirts, or flags or something for the theme. It's fun.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

Oh yeah, before we hand out ribbons at the end of the day we have the bike race. If a 2-5th grader brings a bike and helmet they can race. Its like 1000 yards around my PE field. They love that.

20. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

We have a Spring Fling with carnival games and tickets. We do have a few free activites like dancing, relay races, and playing on the playground.

We tried assigning them stations but it didn't work at all. Now we really encourage parents to come and just let the kids do whatever they want when they want to. We do circulate around to make sure everyone's having fun and being safe but it's a great day.

Last year it was *extremely* hot and by the end of the day I was back in my room with most of the 1st grade watching SpongeBob.

21. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

As a child, we traveled through each event together. We got team t-shirts and competed against the other classes in our grade. At the end of the day, there was a winner in each grade. I loved the team spirit we all had. If we weren't participating at the moment, we were busy being the cheerleaders. It was wonderful, and no one felt left out or left to wander aimlessly and friendless.

It was very, very fun -- and this is coming from a painfully shy grade schooler!

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2010

That sounds like how we did it as students & when I taught!!! It was fun. When we were "stuck" waiting between events we would sing songs & play our own games & the parents that came could take pix!!!