End of year extra credit...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, May 15, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 15, 2017

I have had a couple of kids/parents approach me the past few school days asking about extra credit, and I'm mulling over what to do.

I typically don't offer big extra credit. It doesn't fit with how I grade. Most of my extra credit is Kiddos going above and beyond on work, no big extra projects to totally kick up a grade. Plus, my grading system is weighted so that assessment and observations carry a good chunk of the weight. It's impossible to get a "missing assignment" work in those categories, and those people approaching me are concerned with spotting a missing assignment in, for lack of a better word, the filler grading categories.

Any extra credit simply won't make a big difference, but this is 2nd grade and I think it might help families feel better/fix mistakes.

I just don't have a real policy on this because it has never come up before.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 15, 2017

But that's the thing: on my classwork, you could get 100% on everything (and I include my share of participation on that) and still flunk if you can't perform the concepts on an assessment. And of course, the ones approaching me aren't exactly flunking. And I'm really not about to mess with my grade weighting at this point in the year.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 15, 2017

I think this would at least make them feel they did their job. I think that might be the way to go.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 15, 2017

Extra credit...in 2nd grade? I'm sorry, but I personally would remind them (and I tell my kiddos this almost daily) that I'm less concerned about student grades on report cards and more on student growth. Instead of extra credit, perhaps give suggestions on something they could work on improving...and perhaps, just perhaps, if they show follow through with that, perhaps offer a retest on certain concepts so that that child could show higher mastery. It's getting close to the end of the year, though, and just practicing concepts still needing to be learned for next year would be helpful, regardless of a "grade" change.

Backroads likes this.
  6. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 15, 2017

Wow.. impressive parent (I doubt the kid want extra credit at Grade 2!). Have you thought about asking to just read a book and provide a proof that they read it via a simple book report? Grade 2 kids can benefit usually from a lot more reading - and get their parents off their backs.

Backroads likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 16, 2017

I wouldn't do it if it's making too much more work for yourself. Where were these parents when the students were supposed to be doing their work all year??? Maybe 1 extra credit assignment per student to give them a bump but not so much that you're burying yourself with more grading at the end of the year. They should have thought of this earlier in the year.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 16, 2017

Yeah! One of the kids who has approached me himself is a smart kid with a tendency to goof around. I think his parents finally told him to knock it off and talk to me.

This is our last real week of school (next week being all fun and games) so I already had planned several make up opportunities which could help with missing assignments.

9. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

May 20, 2017

I just don't give extra credit. If you've already planned those opportunities, tell them that.

Backroads likes this.