End-of-year checklist

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, May 26, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 26, 2009

Does anyone have an end-of-year checklist they'd like to share with their "to-dos"? We have one from our school that primarily deals with student files, but I'm looking for a more holistic one that includes classroom organization, etc. I didn't have to tear down my room last year, and now I'm at a loss for what all I need to do! :eek:

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2009

I use the end of the year to get everything back in its place. I'm going in tomorrow (we are out of school) to get my files in order ... they are in the filing cabinet, just not organized.

The only real requirement we have (once we get all of the end of the year paperwork complete) is to clear all surfaces. I box all of the stuff I have on my desk (so I can just unpack the box in August).

Do you have a classroom inventory? I am required to keep one, make sure you update it with any new stuff or discarded stuff.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

I'm a list maker, so I just make a new list every morning. That's on top of the list the school gave me. Eventually it will all get done.

5. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 26, 2009

Step 1 - Clean Out Closet

Step 2 - Send to Central Office or to Garbage any crap that was dumped on me during the year.

Step 3 - Throw remaining stuff back in closet.

Step 4 - Do donuts in the parking lot on my motorcycle while the P shakes his head.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 26, 2009

LOL Muttling! :)

KU, we don't have a classroom inventory... thank goodness!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is my own personal to-do list:

• Turn in paperwork (grades, attendance, other)
    • Return textbooks to textbook storage room
    • Return checked-out electronics to library
    • Unplug student computers and secure computer accessories (keyboards, mice, etc.)
    • Remove all items from walls and ceiling
    • Store like items in clear plastic totes (bulletin board materials, JCL trophies, art supplies, desk supplies)
    • Identify and set aside materials to take home for summer planning
    • Identify and purge duplicates and unwanted books, files, and other items
    • Organize first closet (kleenex, DVDs, AP Virgil texts, Catullus/Cicero/Ovid texts, workbooks, resource texts, personal library)
    • Organize second closet (paper, student supplies, personal supplies, JCL supplies)
    • File important beginning-of-year documents in a convenient place for easy access (opening school procedures, early copy requests, etc.)
    • Cover bookshelves with butcher paper

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 26, 2009

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly!

9. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 27, 2009

I can't believe you have two closets. I would love one!:D I'm green with envy.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

:lol: I had to basically lie, cheat, and steal to get the second one. They're not like built-in or walk-in closets. They're really just metal wardrobes. I still like them, though, because they're big enough to hold most of my junk. :)

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 27, 2009

Maybe if I type my list I'll actually get some of it done! I try to work on my list through the last week or two of school. We have 2 days after school is out to be packed up and out of the building. It's rough, but it's nice to be the first building allowed in their rooms during the summer. My list also changes everyday. I check off or add to when I think of it.

*Paperwork stuff turned in. This is something I work through while I'm doing other parts of the list.
    *Pull out beginning of the year box to pack away stuff as I go. This is a life saver at the beginning of the year.
    *Remove items from walls. This actually doesn't have to be done, but I like to start over at the beginning of the year with nothing on the walls. Plus, I don't want anything to fall off and get ruined.
    *Clean student white boards and pack away.
    *Go through chart stand. We have those massive weasels that hold everything and the kitchen sink
    *Pack away listening center and overhead to take down to the library.
    *Pack away projector, document camera, e-instruction set, and SmartTablet. Lock away in filing cabinet
    *Clean cubbies and desks. This is normally something I have students do the last day of school. I store things in the cubbies, so they need to be really clean.
    *Go through closet, sort, clean, purge. This is a whole day event since our closets are the size of a small room.
    *Make sure all student items are turned in.
    *Pack a box of books and items that are needed during the summer. For research and projects of the sort.
    *Straighten filing cabinets. So they are exactly how I want them at the beginning of the year.
    *Unhook computers, put on counter, and cover. They are safe on the counter.
    *Finish packing anything not listed. There’s lots of little stuff to do that come up as I’m packing away.
    *Make sure my name and room number is on everything. Boxes, teacher desk, filing cabinets, book cases, etc…
    *Laminate anything that needs it That way I can take it home and have my “volunteers” cut it out.
    *Take items home that I want to keep extra safe while they are waxing. Our new crew was really careful last year, but you never know.