End of year awards

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by knitter63, Mar 24, 2008.

1. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 24, 2008

How do you do your end of the year awards? My principal would like us to give an award to each child, which in theory sounds great. However, I have a problem with giving a child an award that he/she has not earned. I do what the prinicipal requests, but I just can't get over the feeling of handing out an "empty" award. Especially when so many other children have truly earned their award!
    What do you do?:unsure:

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 24, 2008

I base the award around something the student is good at--which means they are not all academic. I might have "best runner" (I do teach my own pe), or "most effort" or "most considerate" etc.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2008

Here are a few ideas, but if you do a google search, you'll find a lot of funny ones:

Your Bright Smile

Hardest Worker

Best Boy Athlete

Best Girl Athlete

Outstanding Behavior

Most Improved Behavior

Excellence in Science (and Math, reading, spelling,
    writing)

Most Improved in Math (and reading, spelling, etc.)

Being a True Friend

Math Problem Solver

Most Responsible

Wonderful Singing

Happy Attitude

Always Dependable

Always Sharing

Always Polite

Computer Whiz

Great Sportsmanship

Stick-to-It Award (or Never Give Up)

Class Bookworm

Always Helpful

Beautiful handwriting

Most Cooperative

Creative Writer

Excellent Artist

Excellent Thinking

Great Participation

patience

perseverance

curiosity

humor

courage

integrity

friendship

respect

responsibility

initiative

flexibility

Brightest smile

Best messenger

Best Lineleader

Most artistic

Best Manners

Hardest Worker

Best Handwriting

Best Cutter

Best at Coloring

Most Improved Reader

Best Reader

Most Expressive Reader

Most Dependable

Most Helpful

Most Improved Handwriting

Friendliest

Most creative story-teller

Nicest smile

Tidy Desk Award

Awesome Artist

Super Speller
    Bookworm

Outstanding Organizer

Most Cheerful

Teacher's Helper

Super Sharing Award

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 25, 2008

Thanks!!! These are great ideas, and I feel better about awards already!! I feel that I can give these awards and feel they are justified! YEAH!

7. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

We have to give an award to every student and it can be SO difficult to come up with something meaningful and genuine for everyone. Last year I really struggled to come up with something for one particular student. He was a special needs child who was a delight to teach, had a great attitude but really struggled in all areas (literacy, numeracy, music, art, PE, everything).
    The awards are worded something like..."J" receives an award for achieving excellence in......
    Academically he hadnt achieved excellence in anything so I gave it to him for his excellent attitude & helpfulness in class.
    He seemed really happy when he came up on stage to collect his certificate - he had a huge smile, stood on stage and waved excitedly to his parents.
    Afterwards, though, his dad came up to my, almost in tears, asking "was there nothing else that he could of received the award for? did he not achieve 1 excellent in his final grades??"
    he was really upset by it and I felt so awful but I couldnt have put excellence in.... (reading, maths, etc...) and then give his end of year report out which showed that he had just passed...

i felt so bad, I could feel the dad's disappointment :(

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Apr 19, 2008

We have an awards assembly for K-5 grades. K and 1st give awards to all. 2-5 give academic awards for best in each subject. I have the kids do a classroom award. A week or so before the last day of school, I have the kids list everyone in the class and create an award they would give this student. Sometimes they know something that I am not aware of. After our awards assembly, we come back to the class and do our class awards. I det some 4" shiny cardboard stars from the party store and hand-write their awards. I've done this for 2 years and the kids love it.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2008

And you can always give one for best effort in an academic subject, even if the child didn't get great grades.

10. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Apr 20, 2008

Every year, I have the kids write one nice thing about all of their classmates. I give them a packet, and I have them pull it out and write about one student per day. Then, I have them show it to me (so I'm not getting things like "I like her hair"). Plus, it is easier to check one statment from each student per day rather than entire packets at the end.

I type the statements into a word document along with my own short statment about the child, put it into a fancy font, print it off and glue it to construction paper. I laminate them too.

When it comes to give the awards, I read off one or two things their classmates said about them.

The kids love them!

11. Nessy

Nessy Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I give the students a list of about 50 categories and have them write in other students names. They have to use every student's name at least once. That helps me decide who is most athletic, who is the best singer (since I don't know). Then I narrow it down and they all get one award at the end of the year.